Register now to get rid of these ads!

tru tuck-nroll

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by slamdpup, Jan 15, 2010.

1. slamdpup

slamdpup

anyone know of a book or a dvd out that has ''how to'' or a good instructional how to do interior step by step...looking more for a dvd ..i want to learn the tru tuck-n-roll and diamond tuck.. with deep stitching..thanks

2. REAL diamond tuck is not sewn...its folded......Not an easy chore.

3. My wife was interested in learning how to do upholstery so she did some research and found someone locally who did 1-on-1 classes. She liked it so much that she decided to go to Wyotech for their upholstery course.

4. slamdpup

slamdpup

what do you mean folded?

5. Take a look at a stock model T seat that is diamond tufted...The diamond are all folded and the buttons hold it ..no seams in the diamonds.......
    Or any antique that has diamond tufting.....even old sofas....

6. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

My Old Roadster had genuine folded diamond-tufted upholstery. Always thought it was unusual to be done in the late 60s that way.

7. Mr 42

Mr 42
    from Sweden

Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  8. jakesbackyard

jakesbackyard
    from ND
    1. Upholstery

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  9. Stu Padasso

Stu Padasso

If you can locate some of the "Little" Rod and Customs (May-July, and September/October 1955), they did a series on upholstering. Colgan's Upholstery in Burbank upholsters a '40 Coupe. In particular, the September issue showes how they used to hand stuff the pleats to get the depth and roundness. I think this technique is pretty much forgotten (Eddie Martinez, who did 3 cars for me over the years, was the last to hand stuff pleats that I was aware of).
    If you really want to do it like it was done in the fiftie's, pick up a copy of the September 1955 issue. They would sew the pleats with a backing material, then stuff rubber or cotton into each pleat. Again. I think it's pretty much a lost art, as Eddie has retired.
    I'd be interested to know if anyone does it like that these days- perhaps Sid Chavers or Tom Sewell still does- I don't know

10. jakesbackyard

jakesbackyard
    from ND
    1. Upholstery

Sid Chavers does it the modern way, at least that's the way he does it in his video.

11. Hotrodstitcher

Hotrodstitcher

We do it both ways, here's a picture of hand stuffed pleats...Sid

Attached Files:

• 6.JPG
      6.JPG
      File size:
      64 KB
      Views:
  12. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I buy channel foam with V grooves cut into the foam. You can get different widths , 1inch ,1 1/2, 2 ect... It gives a fuller look. You lay the vinyl over the foam, follow your finger down the groove and sew. Fold the vinyl over and sew next to your first stitch (like in the post above). Just repeat the process. It takes awhile getting used to, but looks great.

13. Karrera

Karrera

I'm trying to get Dean Jeffries old Porsche ready to go by March and its time to turn to the interior. It was originally done in hand stuffed tuck and roll by Eddie Martinez but its gotten a bit shopworn over the years so I need to recreate exactly what Eddie did. It looks like the pleats were originally stuffed with either 3/8" or 1/2" thick foam around 1-3/4" wide.

My question is what foam should I get for stuffing the pleats - I'm thinking a medium firm foam but I was wondering what number and where to get it.

800438974_96XVn-L.jpg

800443254_FkXQ4-L.jpg

Any advice on true tuck and roll will be greatly appreciated.

14. Ego Flat 48

Ego Flat 48

Stu:
    Are you still around? I wanted to pick your brain on Tuck N Roll...You seem to know your stuff. I've been doing what I believe to be Tuck N Roll and want your opinion.