Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Trouble with the police

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mr Haney, Apr 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hustlinhillbilly

hustlinhillbilly
    from ohio

Put mufflers/cutouts on it, fix the headlights and you won't have problems. Leave enough of your butt hanging out and the cop will be forced to take action, even if they don't want to.

2. Get your shit legal.

Just because you can do something doesn't mean that you can legally do it. Don't know of any states or towns that will allow No exhaust system. Get some mufflers on it, doesn't mean you have to get quiet ones, you attempted to muffle the noise.
    How is your ride legal without headlights? Don't sit there and say I am doing nothing wrong when your running around without headlights.

3. Larry T

Larry T

When I started riding Harleys back in the late 60's/early 70's, about the first thing I figured out was that I was gonna spend a lot of time talking to the cops. It came with the territory, same thing here. If your gonna be an "outlaw" hotrodder with open pipes, you're gonna spend a lot of time dealing with irrate citizens and cops. Learn to live with it or change your car. You can't have it both ways.
    Larry T

4. CanUFelix

CanUFelix
    from venice CA

I had exactly the same problem with my neighbour in my old place, guy just Hated my hearse and I had the LAPD beating my door in with all these lies the guy had told them.

I smiled nicely, told the guy I was really really sorry, agreed to let him know everytime I was gonna fire up or move my car so he had time to close the windows and stayed true to my word.

After the first 20 or so times of me doing that every time i wanted to work on it, move some stuff out of the garage or go to work, the fucker was wishing he'd never made a complaint and started telling me not to worry about it. Problem solved.

5. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Yeah, looks like you need an exhaust upgrade. Then just be a friendly and nice as reasonable and you have done your part. Come on man, you have totally open pipes there. At this point, your neighbors are just thinking you are continuing to give them the middle finger and are probably pretty pissed off hearing you drive back and forth all the time. You can still have a cool car with a real exhaust. You don't really want to live somewhere that all your neighbors hate you do you? Doesn't sound like Green Acres to me.

6. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

There was a guy in Redondo Beach that had a VW Baja Bug with a stinger exhaust. Eventually, the neighborhood got tired of the same old "call the cops and wait to see what happens". The entire neighborhood got together and filed 35 counts of "Disturbing the Peace". With 35 witness/victims, the guy was found guilty and it wasn't a fine. He got jail time.

Also, a few years ago, the law made "Disturbing the Peace" a civil matter. What this means is that you can be sued. This was to keep the police from getting involved in a never ending battle of neighor vs neighbor.

7. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

go pray about it. maybe god will give you an excuse for common sense.

8. atomickustom

atomickustom

MUFFLERS! MUFF-LERS!!!

NO ONE wants to hear a car with open headers running around their house on a regular basis. I love cars as much as any human possibly can, and I'd have extracted some sort of revenge by now if you were living in my neighborhood with open headers on your car.

One more time: You can get away with anything on the street IF you are quiet about it!

9. choppintops

choppintops
    BANNED

I'm thinking this wasn't the response he was hoping for from the Hamb.

10. Willy59

Willy59

Your pipes are awesome and unique, don't change 'em if you don't want to, just ask your neighbours why they're telling lies to the cops.

11. Truckedup

Truckedup

This stuff comes up here a lot " I have open headers and my neighbors hate me". Whatever

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have to agree with the group that says put a real exhaust system on it with mufflers. I wouldn't doubt that people can hear you bust that thing off two miles a way and "it isn't any louder than a Harley with straight Pipes" isn't much of an excuse.
    A decent set of hedders and a sweet sounding pair of pipes will make it a lot more enjoyable to drive and get the neighbors off your back. And you may not have to "tune" it quite so often.

13. Take the advice of the majority here and get your car legal, If you can "never trust a cop" thats your problem, but from the looks of your open headers I can't say I blame the nieghbors for complaining. I've been a hot rodder all my life, but the one thing I learned is if you don't TRY to piss people off things run alot smoother. I'm not trying to be a jerk to you, just offering some friendly advice.

14. roughidle

roughidle
    BANNED
    from iowa

In nw Iowa where I live you have to have some type of muffler on the vehicle. Doesn't have to be quiet, but it has to be there. I'am sure every state has a law like this. If it were me I would do like others said and put some exaust on it. I wouldn't get across town runnin out of the headers without a warning/ticket.

15. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

Your car ain't legal, you know it, the cops know it, the neighbors know it.

Who are you trying to kid?

16. saltflatmatt

saltflatmatt
    Alliance Vendor

I live in a snotty neighborhood with all white collar people and many kids including my own...... I drive my car very slow and steady.. Most my neighbors stare at my car and go about there business.

Obviously you must have done something stupid at one time or another to piss them off...

17. Mr Haney

Mr Haney

How did my Dad get here on the hamb ? ? Hello Pops ! !

I hope to get half a brain some day and finally grow up............working on it everyday ! ! thanks for your honesty

Tman , the motor is race, may not be to your level or expectations, but it is a half fast 10-1, big solid cam, spalding, dual msd box, crossram . hates exhaust

18. choppintops

choppintops
    BANNED

About what I thought. Quit being a dick to your neighbors. :cool:

19. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

like most are saying ,make it legal.

20. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Race motors belong at the track, not driving around neighborhoods pissing people off. Sounds like the first thing you need to figure out is if you have a race car or a car to be driven on the street.

Next is learn that breaking laws brings cops your way, that is their job. Simple, make your car legal (for good reasons) and I am sure most of your problems will go away. That is assuming you also don't drive like an ass. Which of course might be the other half of your problems.

But, you are right, might need to grow up a little first. But, after you get your balls busted enough, you do grow up and you realize why being respectful to other people is actually a good idea and to your benefit as well. Trust me, you'll learn eventually but sounds like you might be in store for a few more busted balls before you figure it out.

21. Frosty2

Frosty2
    from Hambone,IN

Also quit throwing Bikers under the bus because of your misfortune.The why can't I if they can argument makes you look childish.I suggest you paint the side of your house that faces them floresent orange with purple shutters.Green gutters would finish the look off just great.Then fill your front yard up w/discarded toilets and put flowers in them.Quit mowing your lawn and call it a wildlife area.Need more?

22. I agree with this statement,,get some mufflers and fix the headlights.

The no louder than a Harly don't make any difference,this is not justification to be a jerk.

Make your neighbors happy,then the cops can spend more time doing their job and less time baby sitting your neighbors and you might become a better neighbor by doing so. HRP

Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  23. Slapnuts1975

Slapnuts1975
    from Tennessee

If your only excuse is that it blows header gaskets, buy better gaskets. My Dads Big Block Blown Camaro is pushing 900 horsepower, and doesn't blow exhaust gaskets.

Also a open header hotrod is a whole hell of a lot louder than a harley. Been there had both, have both.

What I can't understand is why they haven't cited you yet. They can see your car, no exhaust, no headlights.... Even here in sleepy Tennessee you would have a hell of a fine by now.

24. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Your openly admitting that your breaking the law and your complaining? I doubt that the law allows for NO exhaust system and the overall look just asks for irritation on the part of civilians. Now turn this around. Your neighbor had 3-4 dogs that continually come over and crap on your lawn and piss on the bushes and the tires of your car. Would you just sit quietly by and think "They're just dogs doing thier thing" and let it go? I'm thinking with the attitiude you've expressed so far there would be a couple of dead dogs that were tossed back on the neighbors lawn, right? Mommy and daddy must never have taught you to play nice. botom line, if your the oddball in the group you either find a way to fit in or put a For Sale sign on the front lawn

Frank

25. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

mommy, I put my dick in a meat grinder, and now it doesn't feel so good.

26. houston54

houston54

Doesn't sound like haney even cares and is bragging. Bad ass to the core. That is just being a dick. Thanks for screwing things up for the rest of us.

27. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

Should have read the whole thread before posting...

Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  28. shove some glass packs into the headers when you get to a car show or the strip you can remove them
    and put some lights on it even if you have to have a jumper clip to make em light

dont think you can drive that one much w 10 to one comp, must need race gas??
    you know what you got to do to make peace w neighbors

I too have had race cars cranking 7.5 rpm and 180 deg headders, got to deal with a few cops got old and quit no more cops
    sold the chopper life is good

29. Mr Haney

Mr Haney

this is a hot rod site fellas ! ! ! thought i would get some sympathy here for Gods sake ! ! ! You guys are actually siding with my wife and neighbors ! ! ! My wife hates it too, says it sounds like a war coming down the road.

the lady next doors pool pump running along with her window unit ,the neighbors bassett hounds barking, the drunk beating his wife , the fairgrounds noise, the instant harley owners group bikers accross the street reving at the bar seven days a week is all good with me man ! !

me and a few others that posted here love it, get it. Let your hair down and run them open headers ! !

30. JESUS! Sounds like half the people on here shouldn't be on here!
    'Put a muffler on it'! And they call you a dick?!
    In my opinion, you should stay just the way you are, and if the neiboughs don't like it, they'll have to learn too!
    What you could do, is while he's asleep, take the muffler off his car, so that when he goes to moth club, his cars shouting just as much as yours!
    Or, take him to modern Top Fuel meet. After that, anythings quiet!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.