Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Trouble with the police

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mr Haney, Apr 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr Haney

Mr Haney

Every time this season i fire my car up the cops come. Neighbor has been lying to them about my car drag racing down the street. Even when i tune it they get the drag racing call. this sunday came home from choppers show, parked coupe in driveway, sat down with wife to eat dinner ,cops knocking on front door. The neigborhood comitty has waged war against my hot rod. last sat they were laying for me three different locations, waiting for me to pull out. some friends called to tip me off lucky ! ! Mind you my car is no louder than a harley with open pipes ! !

does anybody else have these headaches ? ? is it legal for them to lie to the police about me ? ? should i sell my car and join their garden club ? ? thanks for letting me vent.

2. atomickustom

atomickustom

"Mind you my car is no louder than a harley with open pipes ! ! "

One word: mufflers.
    As a wise man once said, "you can get away with anything on the street if you do it quietly!"

3. Don't worry sooner or later you will know all them by name and they won't pay attention to the calls.

4. Fenders

Fenders

It is not legal for them to lie to the police, that is called filing a false report, they can be prosecuted for it. Talk to the cops, many of them are not your enemy, see if they can help... I'm sure they do not like to be bothered every time you go for a ride.

5. 61TBird

61TBird

Is there an HOA?
    If not,just smile and wave as you drive by.
    As long as your car is registered and insured,what "law" are you breaking?
    If you're not breaking any laws,you should document what's going on and file a Harassment claim against these so-called "concerned" citizens.

6. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

sounds like your problem is with your neighbors not the cops- bake them some cookies- get on good terms with them

7. choppintops

choppintops
    BANNED

If its just one neighbor then, yea thats crap. But you said its the whole comunity, at that point, one might sit back and re-evaluate.

It might be louder then you think/admit to.

8. choppintops

choppintops
    BANNED

Noise ordinances. I get from the tone he doesn't exactly have mufflers, or ones not working properly.

9. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

File harassment charges against them, then sue them for emotional distress.

Police dont take too kindly to being lied to. Maybe a way to catch them in the act, like video tape?

Find a local [as in lives in your 'hood] officer who is willing to listen to your side of the story to make it easier to catch their lies.

If all else fails, host a HAMB get-together... Get about 200 screaming hot rods crammed into your neighborhood. Get a permit for a live band blasting after midnight and a burnout contest..... If you cant beat 'em, just piss 'em off till they give up! :D

10. raven

raven

Move.
    That way they can't complain about you.
    r

11. alchemy

alchemy

Wait til the cops bring out the decibleanalyzationmeter, then they will tell you if you are too loud for legal or not. As for you drag racing on the streets, I think they'll just have to catch you at that one. Even if your neighbor says you were doing it, they need to actually see it happen (at least around these parts).

12. bake them some hash brownies and put mufflers on it, problem solved!

13. we had a similar problem...
    every time we fired the car up n the garage, the neighbor would get all fussy... at one o'clock in the afternoon...

at the time i was real chummy with the police chief and most of the guys on the force. they all said the same thing...

if the neighbor considers it an unreasonable disturbance, he has every right to file a complaint, no matter what time of day it is. some neighbors just need a bone to pics, and they picked you. mine did the same.

my suggestion is to check your local municipal code for issues regarding noise and disturbances, as well as you vehicle code for noise and equipment requirements.

we built a quick release muffler system for the car when its in the garage. it solved the issue. but i still drive by in my 52 with the pipes open.

14. RichG

RichG

Have you gone and tried to discuss this with your neighbors, in a non-confrontational way? It may be if you're friendly and exceedingly polite you can get to the heart of the matter.

I have a neighbor some houses away that loves to rev their motor and blast music that makes my windows shake. I have gone over there four times to discuss this with them, after that, I've called the cops. It's also quite possible that your neighbors may be intimidated by you to some degree.

Also, can you say hello to them and know their names? A little friendly smooching goes a long, long ways...I hand out christmas cards to my entire cul-de-sac every year, just some thoughts bubba :)

15. Mr Haney

Mr Haney

just a bit frustrating, was flying under the radar last season no problems. think its the fat retired school teacher next door, and the wierdo that shaves his legs down the street. My car is registered plated and insured good. the bad is open headers, no headlamps.

the last cop that came by when we were eating dinner has a harley with open pipes was actually cool about it. still you can never trust a cop, they could hook my hot rod for safety vio's

any one else have hassles with cops and neighbors ? ?

16. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Man, I have an HOA and if I fire my car up even later at night I don't have anybody calling the cops. My neighbor (who is not interested in cars at all) even comes over and tells me how cool it is.

Mind you I am 27 and my neighbors are 60 and up and they still cool about it. I trim his his weeds if I'm out there and he'll aerate my lawn every fall and spring. I can't say that I envy those of you with shitty neighbors. That sucks.

17. Larry T

Larry T

Yours??

Attached Files:

18. Mr Haney

Mr Haney

Hash brownies you just gave away your age dude ! ! thats 80's stuff there ! plus exhaust blows header gaskets too often.

19. Mr Haney

Mr Haney

[​IMG]
    yes thats my headers in that pic. YES they sound off a bit but so does every harley out there. why dont i get hassled on my bike ? ? its just in the car it seems. i hate to have to put stupid under the car, out the back exhaust on it. hard to hide takes away from the simple look. blows header gaskets. so be it.

the post on throwing a wild party with hot rods, bikes, etc will be the plan ! ! ! thanks for the idea ! ! !

Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  20. choppintops

choppintops
    BANNED

It's louder then you are admitting with those bells.:cool:

21. RichG

RichG

Ah, I hate to argue, but I think you are mistaken. If the reporting party is willing to give a sworn written statement, the officer may use this as reasonable cause to issue a citation. IF the statement is found to later be false, the reporting party will be cited for filing a false report, and can be liable for civil action.

This is handy information in the event that an officer is reticent in following through on a complaint you may have...:D

22. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I guess kill them with kindness would be the easiest solution. It's something that my father would have went completely against but I believe that if you try your hardest to be kind to them they will surrender to the attempt and let things be. Try going over there and talking to them about it. Maybe they do not understand what you are doing. Unless they are really set on making your life hell, then all bets are off.

23. Put some real exhaust on it and be nice to the neighbors. Unless it is an all out race motor it will perform AND sound better anyway.

24. roughidle

roughidle
    BANNED
    from iowa

One thing that some of us need to realize is there are some people out there that just don't like our kind. Like a couple of my neighbors. Screw em if they can't take a joke. I ain't gonna change.

25. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

I used to deal with this kind of thing delivering lumber to residential neighborhoods in a tractor trailer. It was so big and loud, that it would appear to be going faster than it was, if that makes sense. My boss would get calls a couple of times a week on all us drivers for driving too fast in neighborhoods when we weren't. We would also get noise complaints. I've had the cops called on me more than once just for doing my job. Most of these people just didn't like the fact of having a big truck (or in your case, loud hot rod) in their neighborhood.

Educate yourself on your local noise ordinances. For instance, in my city, it says something like "vehicles being extraordinarily loud and annoying" and it gives a distance of how far away they can be heard to be considered in violation of the noiseordinance. A lot of this is subjective and can be open to interpretation to an individual cop. What you don't have to worry about is the "drag racing" on your streets, so long as you're not doing it. They can't write you a ticket for something they don't witness and hear of secondhand. On the other hand, if your ride is loud as hell and in violation of your local noise ordinances...

Good luck. It sucks to have jerks for neighbors. All my neighbors like my loud rides, lol.:D But, like jrblack30 said, the cops will get tired of hearing from the same old people over and over again about nothing.

26. kill them with kindness. i have 2 old cars, 1 unregistered, sitting in the driveway for months now, and i am just waiting for the police to come by, but nothing has happened so far. i say hello to all my neighbors and keep my yard up. no problems to date.

27. Mastiff 107

Mastiff 107

Use some cutouts on your street and open them on the road. They make nice electric ones or simple mechanical ones.

28. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Get an exhaust system, problem solved.

29. I'll be honest- when I have to listen to someone else's noise INSIDE my own house- I get pissed. As in ass-whoopin' pissed off.
    It could be a dirt bike, a stereo, a barking dog- it's all the same when it's intrusive like that.

My opinion- if you really want to be hardcore, move to a ghetto industrial park where no one cares. Otherwise, you're an average Joe (like me), obligated to treat other people decently- OR a rebel without a clue.

Having a hot rod doesn't make you a superstar.

30. Canada Jeff

Canada Jeff

Wow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.