Register now to get rid of these ads!

trouble with '02 dodge truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1uskid, Jan 11, 2009.

1. 1uskid

1uskid

Hey all,
    I am stumped. I drive a dodge ram diesel. I have spent tons on it this year. After replacing, batteries, clutch, tps sensor, fuel injector pump, fuel lift pump, a/c compressor, repairing major oil leak at the pan, and an a/c line leak, the truck won't start. I drove it hauling a 24 foot horse trailer with one horse in it to Emory, about 40 miles from my house. Stopped at the feed store, restarted like normal. Went to Dairy Queen and the dash lights all come on, but it just clicks. So, we tried to jump it off, nothing. Tried to bypass starter, it almost started. So we unhooked the trailer, and towed it to a friends house and it started in 4th gear by popping the clutch, and ran all the way home no problems. But, even after putting a new starter on it, just clicks.

Any body out there know about this.

I know Dad, (dwrfab) that I should get a new truck, but I only owe 3,000 on it. And new ones are now 36-46K, not an option.

Thanks
    Whitney

2. 1uskid

1uskid

why is my message not showing up?

3. threepiston

threepiston
    from illinois

It is showing up. What kind of voltage is showing up at your starter solenoid? Bad ground?
    A bad ground would give all kinds of problems. Including low voltage to your fuel shutoff solenoid.

P.S. This forum IS for CLASSICS. Try Allpar. It's a mopar specific forum.http://www.allpar.com/forums/index.php?act=idx
    But you must register.

4. 1uskid

1uskid

I know it is for classics, I grew up under the hood of a '37 Chevy with my dad and know more about cars than any 36 yr old blonde girl should, but I am stumped and hoped that someone in H.A.M.B. land had an idea.

It showed 12.3 volts

5. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

you won't get sympathy or advice for posting anything newer than 1964....sorry but rules are rules

6. Dairy queen is bad mo jo for haulin 1 horse i'll remember that...

7. 1uskid

1uskid

Thanks for the Allpar link. It indicates a Map sensor or a bad relay, this may be the right direction, at least I have a direction now. Thanks again

8. skidsteer

skidsteer

I clicked on your message, just because I had never heard of a dodge truck made in 1902, no lie.

9. krooser

krooser

My F100 has a map light... is that the same?

10. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

11. Mark Lester

Mark Lester

I know this is for '64 or older, but I drive an 03 Dodge diesel as well, along with owning 100+ classics. yep i agree sounds like a solenoid or ground problem.

12. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

sounds like you planned ahead by taking that horse at least.

13. manyolcars

manyolcars

:eek: Theres a *gurl* on our forum???

14. Mark Lester

Mark Lester

lol! Come on there, I got girls teenage girls out behind my shop tearing apart cars faster than some of the boys!

15. Definitley nothing to do with the map sensor.....Bad ground or connection.

16. Diagnosis of problem: Dodge.

17. Scott K

Scott K

More than likely the contacts within the starter. Mine did a similar thing. Have to pull the starter off and pull it apart. Remove and replace the contacts that transmit current to the starter motor when the solenoid is energized. Not that big deal to repair. Simple tools. The Turbo Diesel Registry can lead you to a more in-depth discussion and repair parts. I think parts to fix it were around $30.00 and they were beefier than the OEM parts.

Over time the contacts wear un-evenly to the point where the solenoid will no longer touch both contacts. No touch both, no transmit power to spin the starter motor = push start.

18. bryan6902

bryan6902

Maybe something on your drive belt is not turning. Water pump, alternator etc....

19. screwshiney

screwshiney

i'm thinking relay, you said that when you jumped the starter it almost started... how do you mean almost started, did it crank but not fast enough?

20. FuelFC

FuelFC

Hmm 37 yo female, on the HAMB. Has own truck, hayburner, and trailer...obviously likes having a large time at the DQ. Ohh wrong board sorry.

If it runs on secondary side and operated ok after bump start I would go to primary start up side like others have mentioned. As you said when it was running and everything was normal all was ok. Then go to all of the grounds and look closely at what work was done in truck last. Loose ground or misplaced possibly. Sounds very likely prospect before tearing into or replacing anything.