Register now to get rid of these ads!

trouble selling

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JOBCORP, Feb 12, 2011.

1. mj40's

mj40's

Same here been trying to sell my Chevy for almost two years now. Lots of dumb trade offers or people wanting it if they can sell theirs. I need the space more than the money but refuse to give it away.

2. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

To answer your original question, yep, I sold a '47 Olds convertible less then a year ago to a guy in Australia. I got way more then I paid for the car two years prior.

Don't kid yourself, if you've got internet you're at least middle class. :rolleyes:

3. unless you're in the hot rod business, why is a fair price so important? When you were putting the car together you looked for the best deals, got some great buys, and stole a few parts from the under-educated. Your labor should never be thrown into the equation, because, afterall, you do claim this is your hobby. Most every hobby is designed to lose money. If you fly as a hobby, and you rent the airplane, how do you get your money back for the cost of the air time? If you go to a concert do you try and get full price for the ticket stub? If you golf, you expect to sell your greens fees? A hobby is supposed to be fun. Most here seem to have forgotten that. If you have had fun with the car, that should be the reward, not how much profit you want to see. And if you've had the car for anything over three days breaking even is considered a profit. I'm sorry if this sounds a little harsh, but if you have to sell your toys to keep the wolfe from the door, maybe you shouldn't have had the toys to begin with. People without toys have the same wolfe, and what do they have to sell?

4. PhilJohnson

PhilJohnson

Heh, I made less than the poverty line last year and had the internet. I can use my cell-phone as a modem. If I use it after 7 I get free internet. The cell bill is less than 20 bucks a month (cheaper than a land line).

5. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Ha, you have a cell phone AND the car in your advatar....trust me you are far from "proverty". :rolleyes:

6. 345winder

345winder
    BANNED

i dunno,some welfare people i know(?) have internet on their blackberrys,free health insurance and dont even have to work,but at the same time they are livin the dream,

7. EnglishBob

EnglishBob

No easier up North.
    Lots of 'hopeful' offers but realistic are few and very far between.

8. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

If your total family income for a family of four is $37,000 or more a year, your in the top 4% of the world's family income level. If your total family income is $45,000 or more a year, you in the top 1% of the world's family income level. Still feel poor?

That said, if you think your car is worth as much as it was 4 years ago, your probably dreaming. If I was worried about keeping a roof over my family's head, or putting food on the table, buying a "toy" is the last thing on my mind. Its my responsibility to take care of my family. Gene

9. brad chevy

brad chevy

Okay 5window if I"m selling a 1938 Chevy and the guy asks for a CarFax on it where the hell am I going to find that? As far as Kelly-bluebook prices,thats just there opinion based on the market in what area.Prices vary from state to state,region to region so get off your high horse,its to damn early to argue over bullshit which is what most Carfax and Kelly-bluebook buyers are when looking at a antique car or truck.

10. Undercover Customs

Undercover Customs

Selling is all about the current market. I sold a truck last year for 50% more than I purchased it for and put nothing in it. But then when I look at purchasing something to sell I won't buy it unless I know I can turn a profit and if it is more than $3k I know I will sit on it longer than if it is under $3k. In the market we are in and have been in for 2 years +, I'd say you will sit on something unless you are giving a good to great deal.

As far as the other junk you guy's are talking about - poverty is a state of mind. Internet access is available for free at most public libraries and would have nothing to do with your "status". And yes, depression would be the proper term for the state of the economy based on the definition. If you think we are experiencing 10% unemployment, wake up and smell the cat food.

11. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

Good Stuff SELLS ...
    End of the story :)

Most hobby cars have way more money spent on them than they are worth. Sad but true. Unless you have a vehicle desired by a LOT of folks ... your chances of making money or breaking even is slim to none.

If your ride is not reproduced in Fiberglass ... ;)
    or have a LOT of aftermarket support ... it is not a
    high demand vehicle by most folks.

A friend of mine had a theory a few years back.

At that time ..........

Most any decent 40 year old rodder could play at the 5 thousand dollar range.
    1 ) when the price when to 10 grand ... half the buyers had to fall out
    2 ) when the price when to 15 grand ... another half fell out
    3 ) for every 5 grand the price goes up ... the remaining possible buyers goes down by half.

When to get to 30/40 grand and up ... you have to have exactly what the buyer wants ... ... because the buyer pool is small.

I am retired ... and have decided that I will not be building any more Deuces :mad: So I have been selling some of my Deuce stash of parts. I have not experienced any difficulty selling parts. :D They either buy it or go home empty handed. I do not have to sell ... so I stand FIRM on my prices. I have been a Deuce guy for over 30 years and I feel like I know the market value.

Folks with money are still buying. :)
    The ones who just barely got by in good times ...
    are suffering now.

If you have a job and are careful ...
    the economy is not bad for you.

I do feel sorry for those who have lost their jobs to overseas plants.
    But a LOT of folks would not even work tasting pies
    in a pie factory :D

12. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had a friend who is really into cars; he probably now has over 100 top class Hot Rods and Corvettes. Through the years, he had two sayings that served him (and me as well) excellently.

1. "Don't be in a hurry to buy, because there will always be somebody in a hurry to sell; don't be in a hurry so sell, because there will always be someone in a hurry to buy".:D

2. When he wanted to low-ball someone, he'd say "Would it offend you if I offered you X dollars?". I never saw him get a negative response with that.:)

13. wearymicrobe

wearymicrobe
    from San Diego

As one of the few guys out there buying right now, in cash, its my market. But you would be surprised how many cars I have passed over due to no photographs, no response, no information. Take at least a little time when you post a ad somewhere.

Heck just getting someone on the phone seems like a win in my book nowadays.

In fact I am really interested in the 28 a Brookville on the sale board by Hawkerdriver.

14. :
    "But a LOT of folks would not even work tasting pies
    in a pie factory "

...this would not be a good job!...healthwise,...but I know what you mean.

15. "If your total family income for a family of four is $37,000 or more a year, your in the top 4% of the world's family income level. If your total family income is $45,000 or more a year, you in the top 1% of the world's family income level. Still feel poor?"

...where'd you get these figures?...I spose they are correct for "world figures",...
    you can't compare America with those super poor countries; if you did we'd all seem like millionaires to a lot of poor nation families, even U.S.poverty level ones.
    ...poverty level in the US is $14,570 for a family of two,...I've been in that group for more years than I'd like to remember; just cuz I have internet access doesn't mean I'm well off.
    I'm sure there's lots of others in this group. ..not griping or lookin for sympathy, just stating a fact. A lot of the way people live is how they organize their priorities.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2011
  16. Fordtudor37

Fordtudor37

Reality is that people are scared about the loss of a job, the cost of fuel for thier car and home as well as the cost of food going up.

All countries have a "middle" class, its just were you draw the line at "lower", "middle" and "upper" class happens to be by money in THIS country. A family with a chicken is the town millionaire in Etheopia, but is a dirt farmer in the USA.

My best advice is this - Don't criticize them until you've walked a mile in thier shoes.

Everybody wants the best deal in town, its just hard to remember what side of the deal your on when your selling.

This economic issue will pass and things wont be as good as it was, but together with a little understanding and comrodery we will all get thru this "pain" and we will enjoy moments at car shows and swap meets to come even more.

17. i have been selling shop equipment to get car money and this is how it goes i paid 7500 :Dfor a lathe and got $750:eek: for it
    so i dont feel too bad about some lowball offers i have made
    and it looks like some of you all still are trying to sell that stuff yet ,so it looks like we are in a scaled down economy as i see it

18. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

I actually have eight gold mines for sale! Unfortunately, they don't qualify for a HAMB classified listing. I'll list a woodie for sale in April or May and probably get top dollar as that's a special market and prices are holding.

19. deto

deto

says the guy who managed to squeeze politics into his non-politics statement? nice job self appointed moderator.

20. b-bob

b-bob

I have seen your ad for that Chevy and was wondering why you still have it. Looks to be an exellent car that i would love to have, if i was in the market i would be all over that car. I can't understand why such a good practical car doesn't sell, the price seems right.

I have recently become disabled and decided to sell a couple of projects i had, i knew i would never get what i had into one of them, so priced it to what i thought it should go for in this economy and sold it right away, and could have sold it three or four more times.
    Guys that have to sell, need to price their stuff according to todays economy and never mind what it was worth five years ago. Or if you don't have to sell, keep it and hope the values come back up one day.
    Just my own opinion, Brian

21. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

things are tough all over.

Some guy offered me $4000. I said no. It'll sell when its warm.

22. slik

slik

You got it!

23. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Those numbers about the world scale of wealth percentage should be an eye opener of us Americans. Kinda makes you realize how much of the rest of the world hold us in contempt if you try and look at it from their perspective. Think someone who has just hunted all day so his family can have the one meal they will consume today will feel any sympathy for you not being able to buy that set of Ardun heads you've always wanted?
    We should all STILL be thankful for what we have and I agree things will get better. Just gotta be patient.

Frank

24. coupster

coupster
    from Oscoda Mi

If you are talking about your model A, first off it has limited appeal. I have a friend in California that sold an almost identical car to a German a couple months ago for $9500. I think he was lucky as he did not have his fenders anymore and he also had parted with all the original electrics for the car after converting to 12V. In my opinion not having these items pretty much eliminated "buyers" looking for original model As. So your left with with folks that want banger powered hot rods, I think that is a very limited audience. Good luck with your sale, and hey it is a nice car if you end up keeping and enjoying it.

25. 63dan63

63dan63

Uncertainty (job security, higher taxes, healthcare, etc.) causes people to hold on to cash.

I bet I've had 75 offers to trade my 31 sedan for a Harley... so hot rods aren't the only "hobby" that's been hit hard.

I keep spending money on it and lower the price.
    This thing should be long gone.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

26. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

There is a bum for every seat Woody. I'd just wait longer. Perhaps a few 'tweeks' would get it movin'?

27. 63Dan63, nice car...I don't have any money, actually less than none, I owe money...but I like the car alot.

www.highspeedmotorsports.com

28. 40WILLYSCRAZY

40WILLYSCRAZY
    from fresno

In todays economy, I have actually found that trading is better than dealing with someone for cash. it seems like most people that want my high end stuff will only pay the super reduced new economy price, but when I want that high end part it is at a top end full price. like hell if i'm going to sell low and buy high. trading solves this problem for me as long as the person I'm dealing with also realizes that our items are both of a reduced value. so basically it's a wash , nobody gets hurt and screw the money part of it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

29. bovman

bovman

Since the home refinancing was squashed it seems almost impossible to find a cash buyer. I had no idea that most guys were getting the money for car projects by cashing in their home equity, what happened to saving money out of your weekly paycheck? I gotta agree with the one poster, the Barrett Jackson buyers seem uneffected. Those are the same guys who tell their employees that health insurance is to expensive for them to furnish to their employees.

30. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Just part of the cyclical nature of the old car business. I'd be surprised if parts vendors aren't making a big buck these days. That was the history of the business from the late 60s-90s, economic downturns were banner sales years in old Ford parts, not so much cars but parts.