Register now to get rid of these ads!

Trouble posting pictures

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by Jimbo17, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Posting pictures as been easy up until the past week or so.

Has something changed?

Thanks for any help you might be able to offer.

Jim

2. Any chance you (or someone trying to help you) changed the resolution (at the camera) of the pictures produced by your camera? Have you let your camera out of your hands where other well intentioned people could fool with it? How about more info on what you are trying to do (post from camera or hosting web site) and where in the process the problem occurs?

Charlie Stephens

3. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Trying to upload a photo from my website.

In the past I simply open my website and select a photo and copy it's url and then I select insert picture and paste the url.

I have been doing this for the past few years without a problem but now I only get a small square box with no photo.

I am using the reply to post on the top of the screen and not the bottom.

Below is my web address and all of the images are jpegs.

Thanks for your help. Jimbo

http://www.nostalgicracingdecals.com

4. Well I just grabbed a shot from your site and it seems to link here OK, for now. But I noticed that some of the pics on your site aren't showing up... just the little red X placeholder. Where are you hosting your pictures, or do you have your own server?

[​IMG]

5. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

The reason you are seeing the little red x mark instead of a picture is because your browser is outdated.

On my home page I have a link to Firefox which is Free and if you use it every picture opens.

What browser are you using now?

All of my images are hosting on my website and not with any photo sharing service.

The problem I am have having posting pictures just started within the past few weeks .
    Before that everything worked fine so I am trying to figure out what has changed. Is there any type of limit on how many photo's you can post?

Thanks Jim

6. I don't think there's any limit to the total number of images you can link here, but there might be a limit of ten pictures per post.

Anyways, I decided to do a little experimenting. I copied and pasted this URL from your site...

http://www.nostalgicracingdecals.com/Cool__Car_Projects.html

...into four different browsers and these are the results. I'm still running WinXP so IE8 is the newest version I can use. The image in question is down the page a ways and just directly below the image I linked to and posted above in this thread.

Internet Explorer 8-no image displayed
    Firefox 27.0.1-no image displayed
    Safari 5.1.7-no image displayed
    Torch 29.0.0.5530 (5530)-no image displayed

From this I'm guessing it's not a browser issue.

So I took the URL from the non-visible image...

http://nostalgicracingdecals.com/images/1315674025.jpg

...and tried to open it directly and got this response.

Image Not Found - ERROR 404 File NotFound
    The image you were trying to access
    "http://nostalgicracingdecals.com/images/1315674025.jpg" is not available on this website. It may have been renamed, moved or deleted. Check the image url again or contact the website owner for additional help in this matter.

So I took the URL from this page and shortened it to...

http://nostalgicracingdecals.com/images/

and tried to open it directly and this was the response.

Error 403 Forbidden!
    The page, file or directory you attempted to access is forbidden. You are not authorized to view the associated content.

Also, the URL automatically changed to...

http://mx1.thecyberweb.net/403.cgi

Then I shortened that URL to...

http://mx1.thecyberweb.net/

...which is where I suspect your website is hosted and this is what opened on the screen.

This server is one of the dedicated mail exchange servers for clients using the cyber web network. There are no web services, logins or other pages on this server. If you are accessing this page out of curiosity, there is nothing here to see. But thank you for checking in and for your interest in our network functions.
    For information about our company refer to our corporate website thecyberweb.com for details and or contact information. All servers under thecyberweb.net domain are network and routing servers only for mail and other back end processes.

Your images have to be hosted somewhere to be viewed on the web. And I suspect that the company hosting your site is also providing you with image hosting space on their servers to allow you to link your photos to your website. But to keep their costs down they may not intend for you to link the images elsewhere and may restrict access to your images. Contact your web hosting service and ask them what their policy is.

For linking photos on the HAMB and anywhere else on the web you might want to consider opening a free image hosting account at Photobucket or somewhere similar.

7. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

ClayMart:

Thank you for taking the time to try and figure out my problem.

Cyberweb is the parent company for Page Buzz which is the company that hosts the servers where my website is located.

I have forwarded your information that you sent to them so they can try and figure out what is going on.

Thanks again for your help with this matter.

Jim Hill

8. You're welcome. I'm no expert at this stuff but I enjoy poking around "under the hood" and trying to figure out a little about how it all works. It's probably working just the way it's supposed to... mostly. :rolleyes: Curious to hear what your hosting service says.

9. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

ClayMart:

The crazy part is each time I check the site on my end it appears to be working fine.

That's why I am so grateful to you for pointing out the problem to me.

I posted a note on my homepage asking anyone else that has a problem with pictures opening to contact me because that's the only way I realize that something is wrong.

Thanks for making me aware of the problem and I will be sure to let you know what we find out.

Jim Hill

10. I think this might be happening because there are copies of the images stored in the browser's cache on your computer. When you open a web page that you've visited before, your browser first looks to see if you already have a copy of the needed images on your hard drive in this cache. This way the page will load faster than if it has to download the picture all over again from the image host.

Depending on your browser settings a given image file may get deleted after 60 or 90 days. Then when you go to open that web page the browser has to download another copy of the image. Assuming that the image file is still available on the image server, hasn't been renamed or hasn't been blocked for some reason.

If you were to manually clear your browser cache, the next time you open that web page I'm guessing the picture in question won't be displayed.

11. Paul

Paul
    Editor