Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Trophie build signup billetproof florida

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by roosters hot rods, Oct 6, 2011.

1. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Those look great. I bet there are that many hours in them. I started back in October to plan mine, I thought it would be a piece of cake.........boy was I surprised. :eek: My category was Best Competition Car, so I found a funny car Hemi aluminum oil pan on Ebay that had the bottom blown out from an engine failure. I figured it would be unique to build a trophy with bent connecting rods and pistons hanging out of the pan. Well, that didn't work out and I was worried about the sharp edges of the pan cutting someone, so off to the dump it went.

Then I cut down a camshaft ( I was surprised how easy they cut on the bandsaw) and put some pistons and stuff together for attempt number two.........that one failed too. :(

Off to the scrap yard for some inspiration where I dug through piles of junk until I fouind some cast off ring and pinions and various other parts, plus some that I dug out of my own parts stash. I cut the dragster on the bandsaw, cut down the wrench to act as a signboard, and waited for Dan to weld it up for me. I thought we had it but Dan said it was too short, so we started looking for some base that wouldn't tip over.......that is when I saw the 40 Ford brake drum in my loft...........perfect ! :D

Took part of it to the powdercoater for some sparkly red coating, and painted the rest in copper. Finally done. All it needs now is for a pinstriper to make it pretty. Even though it was more work than I thought it would be, it reallly feels good to do something back for Billetproof. This show and the people who put it on have become a big part of Florida must see events, and something we look forward to every spring.

Only 4 more days............can't wait. :D

Don

2. roosters hot rods

roosters hot rods

Don good thing i have a truck...cause i have a load of trophies to bring up...see ya friday night bro...

Rooster

3. Just finished the final touches on the Best Wagon trophy at lunch, and the Best Truck trophy was on my doorstep when I went to go back to work... So that gives us the Degenerator's Best Hot Rod, Nad's has got Sickest Cycle covered, Body Basher is built... We are still waiting to hear from the Best Interior...

4. dv8

dv8

Ours is on track. It should be detailed and stained tomorrow.

5. I butt-dialed Tim yesterday... I bet that stained something...

6. dv8

dv8

You butt-dial me about once every month and a half.....

Saw a pic of the trophy about an hour ago....best one Tim has done yet...Whoever gets it should be very happy!

7. More like every 28 days...

8. Jake D 56

Jake D 56

I had a new development come up for the minibike trophy that I thought I'd share...

Met an old guy named Wally at the drags in October who I had been trash talking (the good natured fun kind) back and forth with on the OMB forum. He was putting a briggs animal engine on a mobility scooter and was gonna bring it out to go head up against my V-twin mini.... We bet each other a beer.

Well, for whatever reason he didn't get it finished in time. He drove from Tampa to Lakeland anyway for two reasons: He wanted to see the drags, and he wanted to walk up to me in person, hand me a $5 bill and tell me that he had to forfeit on our friendly wager, but a bet was a bet and he was gonna pay up. :cool:

As soon as the drags were done, he went home and started building a new bike for the next event.

I just found out yesterday that Wally passed away in January. He died at 67 of misdiagnosed cancer and he never finished the bike.

Through the OMB forum, I've been in contact with Wally's son and daughter. His daughter sent me this email last night:

"thank you so much for the info.. I or my brother will give you a call tomorrow so that we can get all the info of what we need to do.. as i said my dad had planned this since last oct, and everytime he would talk to us the last thing he would say was remeber the date punkin march 17th remind your brother, he kept telling us that he was gonna make it until then, even though he is not here in body he will be there with us in sprit.. and we wanted to take his bike in honor of him.. he was so excited about it even though he was very ill he still worked on it every day and when we would come to visit he had to show us his bling for the bike...thankyou for taking the time to write to me it has taken me 3 days of going through his computer to find info for what we needed to do this i found this site under his fav,, thank goodness"

Wally was a neat old guy who I barely knew, but this obviously meant a lot to him. I spoke to his son Jay on the phone this morning and their whole family is making the trip to Ocala with Wally's bike to celebrate him and honor his memory.

I have yet to see the bike he was building, but I already think I know who this trophy should go to.

Cheers Wally.

9. SIC98

SIC98

Bravo Jake, I second that emotion!...Brian

10. MBL

MBL

Tiki is done....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Two day carving binge. Tiki is for Best Hotrod.
    Its a biggun.
    Tim
    MBL

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  11. roosters hot rods

roosters hot rods

12. roosters hot rods

roosters hot rods

13. Choptop

Choptop

Things like this are so very humbling. Its easy to forget that people view Billetproof as more than "just a hot rod show". Some use it as motivation to keep sober, some use it to build projects with sons/fathers/daughters/mothers/family, then you hear about situations like this where the motivation is much deeper.

Looking forward to seeing the bike and meeting Wally's family.

14. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Here it is all lettered by my bro, El Shanebo, the guy's got vision ans style, some lucky guy/girl is gonna win this fine work of art that'll be worth $ thousands one day.
    [​IMG]

15. Choptop

Choptop

WOW!:eek: