Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage TROG DateMove. Love it or Hate it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boon BA, Jan 7, 2016.

1. Just wait till they have the chopper show in pismo. Insanity and burnouts at midnight. It freaking rules.

2. The hard core racers are going to go to WW, but I think I'll skip it (WW) this year and just read about it! :)

hrm2k and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

got everything for my car just need to get it together now. nose to grindstone

patmanta likes this.
  4. Von Farly 1923

Von Farly 1923
    from Sacramento

30 rosville.jpg
    Love it! Been out to the east coast as a spectator now I am ready to take my coupe to Pismo!

5. Ug. Was really planning on getting more than 4 months to build it. I will have my chassis hopefully ready in a week, but then I got school and body. Tbh, it looks impossible for me to be driving in four months, but I will try!

Wish they gave use more notice, but I guess this is the one year that they had to do it. The cutting of slots should mean more fun, but harder competition.

I don't know...

mike bowling likes this.
  6. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Same boat. Plan B: Go get yourself a riding mower and we can race on my lawn while my dog barks at us.

jerseyboy likes this.
  7. Im there, I don't see me getting my coupe done either, I'll bring the beer and my old cub cadet with Cragers on the back!

Jet96 and patmanta like this.
  8. sweet ride man pull your fenders and your ready to go!!!

9. HD Driver

HD Driver

Too many fingers in this pie! Sponsors say " if we could just change this one thing". It would be nice if it just remained pure to it's origins!

10. mlagusis

mlagusis

Pismo attracts tons of off road truck, dirt bike and quad riders so they should be up to task in regards to handling hot roders and bikers too.

I booked a camp ground for the event already. Should be fun.

OL 55 likes this.
  11. jcs64

jcs64

been 3 yrs now, it has been great due to the "ghost town" feel of the place in the off season. You can forget about running your race only cars to and from the beach, I cant imagine the cops (that will now be much more active), will allow no plates and no insurance.
    this seems like its just too much of a change :-(
    give the cali guys June! LOL

just a little bummed, jeff

12. mike bowling

mike bowling

Having grown up on the New England Coast ( Gloucester, Mass.- tourist trap and summer place) I know that Memorial Day (the end of May) WAS the official season opener for summer insanity, BUT NOW people start showing up long before that ( especially if the weather's good) to open up their houses, get their boats ready, etc. I work seasonally on the water in Newburyport, Mass. and things there kick in pretty well by mid May.

Guess I'll try and find a date to the Senior Prom instead ( I'm talkin' AARP, not High School!!)

Too bad, last year was a blast, but I think the beach will already be a busy place , where in October it was pretty much deserted.

Congrat$ to the Cally boys , have fun and remember to have a nice ,cold "Not Your Father'$ Root Beer" (HaHa)
    "Pismo" T. Clam ( Ah, yes. Almost had the car done too. Godfrey Daniels!!) DSCN2523.JPG

Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
    lothiandon1940 likes this.
  13. I was gona bring the plate and registration and insurance from the roadster that doesn't qualify for trog and use that if I had a problem. I doubt some beach cop is gonna know the difference and he def wont know where to find the VIN!!!!!

14. bscc50

bscc50
    from n.e.

yeah, wildwood is a zoo in the summer. a million people on the beach, a million people on the boardwalk, a million people on the streets and a million people in the hotels. the only up side is schools in jersey usually open up after labor day and then go until later in june. however, that only means it may not be as crowded during the week in early june but the weekends are packed by memorial day or earlier. the idea of having it in the past during "off season" basically gave trog the whole town, not anymore. and don't forget the days before the race were pretty much partying in the streets, forget about that. leaving your hot rod or custom unattended when everybody in town is a car guy is one thing but how safe is it when there are a million animals to crawl all over it? the first few years this was a great event put on for real hot rodders. guys who built there own vintage stuff and really understood what it was supposed to be about. last year it became a corporate sponscerd, celebrity driven, money making event. (whether or not it made money i don't know) the famous people got all the runs they wanted and the little guys got pushed to the back with occasional runs. now mix in an already crowded town and there can't be any upside. this is still a great idea for an event but i'm glad i went to the "pre celebrity" races.

15. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

12 weeks. Last car was built in 10. I got this

patmanta and lothiandon1940 like this.
  16. Just talked to the hotel where I stayed last Oct and tge dude kept warning me that it was Prom weekend. What the hell is prom weekend? It was one night when I was I high school and we sure as shit weren't heading to the beach for the weekend for prom!!! Im Not that old yet. But this is unreal. Guy kept telling me the whole town is crawling with 17 year olds that get bussed into town...

17. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

say it ain't so... man, nothing like the beach in the fall...really wanted to go this year...

18. tikiwagon13

tikiwagon13

Well, it was fun while it lasted, no real surprise it going to California, that's where all the celebrities are.

19. mike bowling

mike bowling

Sounds like Tijuana !!!!!- perhaps I was a bit hasty and shall reconsider; 17 year olds by the busload you say? Ye gads, hunting season's coming early this year. Hmmmmmm. I should go practice the "Macarena"!!
    A veritable "Hipster's Paradise" (If you've got the money, honey, I've got the time!) Yas, yas.

patmanta and 62hotcat like this.
  20. Tedders

Tedders

Dirty old man lol

21. When. You put it that way....I'll be your wingman!!!

Tedders likes this.
  22. mike bowling

mike bowling

You Betcha!! Smells like Teen Spirit! ( better than low tide)

62hotcat and ABONES like this.
  23. frank spittle

frank spittle

It seems that every time someone or a group starts a new event out of passion and it is wildly popular they try to make it appeal to a larger crowd by changing it to a "better weekend" and then it is going against a lot more events on those weekends. I believe they had the right formula the first time.

24. It is an awesome event but I think I'm gonna just remain a spectator at least for this year. I would love to race down the beach but I don't think I want to kill myself trying to make the cut off this year.

25. Mel and Bobby and all the Oilers put on a hell of a show and its impossible to make everyone happy, so I'm hopping that the change to June turns out to be a great move, we shall see how it goes. I can only imagine the amount of work and BS it takes to get something like TROG of the ground and running and I hope it stays true to what it was in the beginning and what we all want it to be.

ELD likes this.
  26. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Pismo allows driving on the beach. but, rooms not cheap - lower price places will book up fast

27. boo

boo
    from stuart,fl.

just called about a room, man said that weekend was crazy w/kids, has to have xtra security. just finishing my T for the race, don't kno if i want to fight the crowds, have a timeshare in the fl. keys at same date. BUMMER. club in ormand beach fl. [daytona] used to have beach races a few years back, wish they would start that again.

28. John Tumolo

John Tumolo

Have to agree with bscc50. Wildwood is really different in June than October. First few years of TROG were great. I could tell last year there were going to be changes. Guess I'm just pissed they closed off the pit area last year to us average Hambers. Mel and crew did a great job.

29. I smell a boycott cooking.

onekoolkat1950 and HD Driver like this.
  30. Mel has always talked about taking this show on the road and with the addition of west coaster, Bobby Green, here's his chance. I assume the change of dates has to do with the hurricane threat in the east in October, but with that being said, I fear that changing the date for WW will change the feel of that show. We shall see. Good luck Mel and Bobby!