Register now to get rid of these ads!

tripower/rochester 2g help!!!! Choke question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by WhiteDevil, Sep 16, 2009.

1. WhiteDevil

WhiteDevil
    from Wichita KS

Hey ANOTHER help question...(yes I did my research in old forums first) I got my 3 junkyard 3g's in yesterday and Im stumped. Im not use to seeing this choke shaft sticking out...what is missing here???? I see the screws not there what do I need to do or whats missing? On the outer carbs the choke is gone anyways but what about the center carb here what is missing? What do I need to get to make this look right and function right. Thanks for all of the help.

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      192.2 KB
      Views:
    • 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      209 KB
      Views:
    • 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      232.2 KB
      Views:
  2. You should be able to scavenge what you need off of any 2GC or a complete carb that matches yours. Look around for a core that is complete, maybe someone here has one. You should be able to find one in a flash on that famous auction site. The choke can be set up to work automatically or manually if you prefer.

Bob

3. WhiteDevil

WhiteDevil
    from Wichita KS

Im curious to whats missing. Does anyone run a progressive 3x2 with no choke setup at all? I live in NE FL so it doesnt get "really" cold down here..thanks for the help in advance!!

4. hot rod pro

hot rod pro
    from spring tx.

5. wedgeii1

wedgeii1
    from california

I run mine with no choke and it starts right up every time. Even in the middle of winter. But it only gets down around 50 here.

6. Reds 29

Reds 29

I have an electric choke on mine, it mounts on the small holes on either side of the choke shaft and the shaft hooks to the rest of the choke mechanism. Manual chokes hook up to the shaft with a couple brackets. I think you can get the choke at a napa store. I got parts from Vintage Speed, to rebuild the carb bases and extend the throttle shafts. Look at vintagespeed.com and he has a lot of info there. The pictures not great but I think you get the idea.
    Red

Attached Files:

7. squirrel

squirrel

It's missing the round choke thermostat housing, they used it until the early 60s, then they changed to a "divorced" choke that put the thermostat down on the intake manifold.

The orignal setup had a heat tube from the exhaust manifold. You can kind of see the choke housing on this artists conception of a 283

[​IMG]

8. WhiteDevil

WhiteDevil
    from Wichita KS

My question would be now would it be fine in FL to run no choke at all on all 3 carbs or what is the other option since Im running a 70's sbc.

9. HotRodFreak

HotRodFreak

I don't use chokes.
    No need unless in really cold area.

10. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Assuming it is progressive linkage, you won't have gave chokes on the end carbs. A choke on the center carb is an option but not really required. Without a choke it may want to sputter and fart a little on those winter mornings until the engine warms up to operating temperature. In your case I would just run chokeless. If it becomes an irritating problem then you can buy the electric choke kit as seen above and retrofit it easily.

I'm going to run a manual choke because my original 6cyl Ford still has the manual choke cable in the dash.

11. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

How important is it to turn the key and not have to babysit the throttle for 45 seconds? If it's important, run a choke. If you can live with a minute of bad manners when it's below 60 degrees, don't worry about it.

Also, the richer you run the less you'll need choke. I regularly run double pumper holleys in the middle of winter, no choke. Every time you touch the gas they get a cup's worth so choke is kinda irrelevant. But a rochester or single shooter holley really needs a choke in the winter, you gotta pump those suckers continuously for the first minute of 30 degree startup.

12. WhiteDevil

WhiteDevil
    from Wichita KS

Here in NE florida it sure doesnt hit the 30's too much and I dont think it will be a big to pump the pedal to get here primed up....I guess if I wanted a start on the first turn car I should have built a honda.....just playin thanks alot for the help..please pitch in if you think anything different!!!

13. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

The set up on the T has no choke and it starts OK in weather down to 40 degrees. You do have to babysit it a little for the first minute or two when it's that cold.

14. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

I personally dont think you will need a choke in florida .However you could fabricate a bracket for your center carb and use a choke cable.Rochester 2 gc do have one with an electric choke .Boat carbs used them .

15. zeddman

zeddman
    from Orange, CA

Just set up a 3 duece set up on my Nailhead....No need for the choke since I live in So. Cal. Starts up every time!

16. WhiteDevil

WhiteDevil
    from Wichita KS

You guys are awesome thanks for the help!!! Def. something to think about...just some eye candy I got my center carb totally cleaned/painted and rebuilt this afternoon what a change!

Attached Files:

• 056.jpg
      056.jpg
      File size:
      217.1 KB
      Views:
    • 054.jpg
      054.jpg
      File size:
      204.9 KB
      Views:
    • 053.jpg
      053.jpg
      File size:
      198.3 KB
      Views:
  17. coupster

coupster
    from Oscoda Mi

[​IMG]

Heres what is missing,thats a divorced style choke carb.

18. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

You might get along witout a manual choke, but you'll eventually get tired of needing it from time to time. Put one on the center carb now.

19. mow too much

mow too much

H[​IMG]eres some pictures of mine, I'm running a manual choke

20. mow too much

mow too much

21. skunx1964

skunx1964

i dont think any of the guys i know in jax run chokes on their setups. you should be fine without em

22. 1918willys

1918willys
    from Sin City

I dont run a choke and never have a problem..... Live in vegas and it gets chilly but not cold.

23. WhiteDevil

WhiteDevil
    from Wichita KS

Sweet...im passing on the choke for now. thanks for all the help guys