Register now to get rid of these ads!

Trip to Scrap Yard in a 65 Chevy truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1939fiat, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Ok,so today I decide to scrap an S10 frame today..no..it was JUNK..

As I'm driving out,I see a 67-68 chev truck parked in scrap pile.
    We sonder over to this thing and it has front disc brakes,12 bolt rear end (drum)..a few shiny pieces ,but frame is twisted to shit..Likely when they moved it with a crane.
    Glove box tag says it's a posi.

Will any of this stuff interchange with my 65?
    Been thru the C10 threads,and saw you have to take cross member and all for front disc and steering..

Whats the deal..is it worth the effort?
    In my case,i don't care if it's 5 stud or 6, but power steering would sure help.

It had a 350 at one time with an automatic .(no custom cab steering wheel)

Thanks;
    Rick

2. koolkemp

koolkemp

Should all fit ...but they didnt come out with disc brakes till 71...maybe it was upgraded at some point. lots of interchangeability on the 60-87 trucks, check out the Chevytalk forums TONS of info there

3. moses

moses

the scrap yards i go to wont let you have anything nothing they say it a law that they cant sell you any thing seen lots of cool shit there but cant get it its sad...jeffrey

4. Ayers Garage

Ayers Garage

You don't have to take the front crossmember. You can take just the 4 control arms and brake stuff and install it onto your existing crossmember. Get the steering linkage including the idler arm mount on the frame. It's all different.

The rear axle is a straight bolt in swap excluding needing a 3/16 to 1/4 inch brake line adapter fitting to adapt the later hose to your existing brake line.

The powersteering box will work for you too, but you will need to either heat the frame on your truck behind the box and dimple it in or buy an aftermarket (60 dollar) spacer plate to make it bolt on. You will need the column too as your truck has one long fixed shaft from steering wheel to steering box while the later trucks used an intermediate shaft and shorter column.

5. ===============================================

they wouldn't sell me the whole truck,but could buy parts..
    going back tomorrow to check the rear end..

My steering shaft has a joint in it..a foot up from the box..

Rick

6. 2NDCHANCE

2NDCHANCE

I've got a 1970 Chevy pick up 12 bolt 3:73 posi in my 1964 c-10. Fit with no problems and still kept the 6 lug pattern. Bought it for $100 at the local salvage yard. Go for it. Gary

7. =====================================================

Gary;
    They quoted me 50 bucks,I cut it out..

I need a lower gear.I have a low blow 4 speed,and I'm in 3rd gear going out my driveway..
    Max's out about 65 ..Motors a 283..

Rick

8. Ayers Garage

Ayers Garage

Someone has changed it to a 67-72 type column already then. That will make it easier to do the swap then. You will need the rag join on top of the PS box too. They are different between manual and power steering. You column will then bolt to it.

I'd check the ratio of the rearend before buying it. I've had dozens of 63-72 trucks and most of them had 3.73 gears factory. Basically, only the factory V8 trucks typically were outfitted with 3.07 gears. The 3.73 is a good ratio, but without an overdrive, modern highway speeds will have the engine turned up pretty high.

9. =====================================================

The truck in the scrap yard was a 350 automatic..so it may have a lower gear ratio,than my 65 does..
    I spun it, seemed REAL low..

Going back tomorrow with liquid wrenches ,and large hammer..
    Thanks;

Rick

10. Ayers Garage

Ayers Garage

V8 auto is likely a 3.07 ratio.

By the way, typically when describing gear ratios, high ratio rearends have low numbers and low ratio rearends have high numbers.

If your current ratio has your engine turning too fast on the highway, you are too low ratio and want some higher ratio gears. It's not important really, but it will make you better understood to most guys.

11. ========================================================

Ayer;
    Well ,however you cut it,if the ratio is 3:70 now, and needs to be 3:07.
    Might be a little tougher for towing in 4 th, but easier cruising.
    More updates later.

Thanks to everyone who responded..

Rick

12. Ayers Garage

Ayers Garage

A granny 4 speed will overcome the taller highway gear. I run 3.07s in all my trucks.

13. thanks Ayers...

Rick

Attached Files:

14. sir

sir

as was stated,GET ALL OF IT don't forget the m/s for your brake upgrade I did this myself it's a good swap....

15. kisam

kisam

Yes grab the front end, brake booster and porportioning valve. That front end is almost a bolt up. You will need to drill one hole on each frame rail. But you will have toe in problems from what I understand. I pieced mine together and kept the original crossmember - I wouldn't do that again. The five lug will also give you a lot more options on wheels.
    The rear end will be about an 1" wider than stock, so you will have to adjust the brackets. Also is your 65 trailing arm and coil or leaf spring? Leaf spring will be a lot easier to fix.

16. ==========================================================

Not sure how much there going to let me pull off this truck..i told them I'd buy it and bring back the "skelton"..they didn't like that idea..

Our truck has coils & trailing arms..as does the junker..

Rick

17. ernieflores

ernieflores

I have a 65 chevy c10 long bed with a 292 6cyl 4 speed on the floor. I want to replace my rear end due to it has low gears on it. does anyone knows what I can put on it.
    thanks
    ernie
    805-320-6883

18. Ayers Garage

Ayers Garage

You can use a rearend up through 1970 models straight bolt in. That retains your current 6 lug wheel bolt pattern. The highest ratio offered was 307 which is a very nice highway cruiser gear without overdrive transmission.

19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ernie, somewhere in the 67/70 year models the track width got Wider. The 70 will fit under the 65 and work good as long as you don't run real wide or deep reverse wheels. We ran into that when we put the 70 rear end out of my wrecked 70 into my friend's 65 Stepside. They bolt right in but are wider. I think 68 was the last year of the narrower tread/track.
    You might want to ask over on this forum: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6 Good people and some from here and they know their trucks. The link is to the 60/66 section.

20. Ayers Garage

Ayers Garage

Part way through 1970 is when they went wider. It's 1.5 inches wider overall. 70 models can be either/or on the width.

21. sntos63

sntos63

As long as you're not gonna go with a crazy offset wheel like the guys up here mentioned, you'll be fine. Here's my 63 stepside with all '71 C10 suspension and brakes front and rear. It's about 2" wider track total from stock and I'm okay with the wheel choices that I've made.. I did try to throw some nice slot mags on it before and didn't work cause they were too offset, but I'm happy running the steel smoothies and was able to shoehorn in a pair of 275/60r15s in the rear so... ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1388479075.784783.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1388479089.818635.jpg

TRADITION NEVER DIES!

22. sntos63

sntos63

Just realized how old the thread is, but if it's too late to assist you, it may help someone else who stumbles across this. Lol

TRADITION NEVER DIES!