Register now to get rid of these ads!

Trip Advice Please

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31 Coupe, Feb 10, 2013.

1. 31 Coupe

31 Coupe

Hi Folks,
    My wife has just announced that she has booked us on a RV relocation excursion across the USA next month. :):):)
    We are flying from Australia into Dallas TX on 3/29 and will drive a rental to Decatur IN to pickup the RV on 4/5. The relocation deal allows us 3000 miles on the clock and Google listed the 3 alternative routes at ~2200 miles each so a slight deviations will be acceptable. The RV need to be in Los Angeles no later than 4/18.
    We know what tourist attraction we would like to see along the way but more importantly we are asking for your advice on what HAMB style events, swaps etc might also be available, including the Dallas to Decatur leg, before we commit.
    Thanking you in advance, GB.

2. cmyhtrod

cmyhtrod
    from ct

Wow, nice trip!

I would definitely hit Speedy Bills Museum in Nebraska, the Cord Auburn Duesenberg museum in Auburn Indiana & the Henry Ford in Dearborn.

3. 31 Coupe

31 Coupe

Thanks for that, yes it is a great trip. Are there any auto swaps or shows in that time period when heading west?

4. 97

Geez Graham, you get around...., I guess you miss Beach Hop and NZ Nostalgia drags this year!! I will have to find a wife that works for an airline!
    I think Bill Smiths museum is only open May through September ...

You arrive in Texas the day Viva Las Vegas starts...but that is miles away from where you are heading.
    http://www.vivalasvegas.net

Then after you are out of there ( Texas) The Lone Star roundup is on April 5,6.

http://www.lonestarroundup.com/

Ahotrod.nz likes this.

5. 3340

Wow, Nice Trip Lots Of Driving.

6. You're arriving in Texas just before the Roundup and you're leaving? You're that close, you need to experience Austin.

Why are you arriving in Dallas and picking up your RV in Indiana? That's like flying to Sydney and picking up your RV in Perth.

7. That is a bizarre route, going from Dallas to IN then back to LA. Kooky!

Nonetheless, you have the opportunity to drive through southern Colorado and Utah should you choose. On my cross country trip last year these were the most incredible sights/roads I experienced. National parks and brilliant roads abound.

8. Go to the Roundup...far exceede anything between Texas and Calif...and your going to be sooooooo close

9. 62nova

62nova

You will regret missing the Roundup!

10. kustomsrule

kustomsrule
    from L A

When in L.A. be sure to go to the Nethercutt Museum and the Peterson Museum. You can look them up first on your computer.

11. 31 Coupe

31 Coupe

Thanks everyone for your recommendations, it's now thrown a cat amongst the pidgeons because I'm really pissed about missing the Austin TX "Roundup". The RV pickup date on the 5th is locked in but I've now asked a delayed pickup on the 8th. Unfortunately it's not a regular rental but a relocation deal that is difficult to change, we'll wait and see if they'll bend the rules a bit.
    Thanks again everyone, very much appreciated info and I'm also sorry to piss you off again Craig (97) with our travelling advantages. I think she arranged this trip to keep me out of NZ this year, I must have over expressed how much FUN we had last year.

Re: the KOOKY travel directions, Qantas fly direct from Sydney to LA or Dallas and we believe the TX to IN drive would be far more interesting than flying from LA to IN.
    The RV can only be picked up in Decatur IN (Fleetwood Plant).

Regards, GB.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  12. striper

striper

Hang around in TX a few extra days. Go to the Roundup and then fly to IN to pick up the RV. OK?

13. Being an avid RV'r ourselves, we have traveleld in all but two states so far. You must be aware of the time of year you are here as the weather can reak havoc with you driving plans. The midwest has been getting clobbered with bad weather. If you havenever been on the interstates here before you probably don't realize that they close the interstate system often during storms so in a new Fleetwood you are going to have to set it out in a parking lot. Not trying to be a pessimist here but you should understand the weather can be quite unpridictable this time of year. I would fly to IN from TX to reduce the risk and then drive the Fleetwood according to weather forecasts whichever way looks promising. If you want any other RV trip thoughts just pm me.
    Hope you have a great trip.

14. Come hell or high water ya gotta see Lone Star Roundup in Austin, Tx april 3-5!! Hope to see ya there.

15. kscarguy

kscarguy

Not exactly car related, but ...visit Los Colinas , Irving TX (close to Dallas by the airport) to see the horse statues in the plaza between the three office buildings. Worth the visit. It will please your wife and you.

Attached Files:

16. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

If your trip will be on I-40 there are many places where you can travel Route 66 in Arizona. Not sure I'd like to do the stretch between Kingman and Topock in a motorhome but you may enjoy going from Seligman to Kingman.

And Lake Havasu City is about 20 miles south of the interstate where you can see the London Bridge and there is usually some kind of car cruise going on every day. Also have some great garages to see if you have a few extra hours. From here to the LA Harbor is about 325 miles.

17. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

They were leaving for the US around Easter. Anyone heard from them?