Register now to get rid of these ads!

Trimmers wanted...having trouble with flat seams.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cornbinder52, Dec 30, 2012.

1. cornbinder52

cornbinder52
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am working on a set of seat covers for my 50 Chevy, and I am having trouble getting a seam to come out right. It this picture you can see the curve I want to replicate, but when I piece the top (vinyl) and the bottom (woven poly blend) together it bunches horribly at the curve. It is a real pain to sew also. Any thoughts? ImageUploadedByTJJ1356855153.179631.jpg

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

2. Do you have both pieces cut to the correct shape? They should lay flat when put on top of each other. You could also make small slits or notches in the hem depending if you bunching up on the inside curve or the outside.

3. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wife does some sewing. Had her look. She said notches or slits are good. Also you need to ease the fabric in to the machine. If its bunching on top, maybe you could flip it over. The feed dogs may help work it in that way.

4. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

We could use a few more pics of your problem.Those corners can give all of us problems at times.Don'try to make too big of seams.Make several witness marks,clip 1/8'' apart,1/4''deep.Try cutting up some practice pieces,see where it gives a problem.I cut 3/8'' seams sew 1/2'' as a rule. Good luck Jack

5. X2 on the alignment marks and not forcing the material through the machine. If you put alignment marks on it, make sure they STAY aligned.

6. charlieb66

charlieb66

I think the comments about the corners are spot on. For those who may be reading this and will try it for the first time, be sure to make some "register marks", small matching triangular cuts in each piece of the fabric. Sometimes different materials will streatch at a different rate, and when you get to the curved part they may no longer match.
    the marks will let you make adjustments to the seam along the way. Also if were doing this seam, I would be tempted to start in the center and proceed to the ends.

7. cornbinder52

cornbinder52
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The first time I had it together I sewed the straight seam across the top then attempted the ends. I did not have the woven piece cut exactly, nor did I have any register marks. I will try to post some pics of the piece later.
    I was working off the patterns from the original seat, but decided to add a panel in the middle and did not trim that much out. That is part of the problem. I put a few relief cuts in the hem where they were in the original fabric, but the original wool is stretched and I think more relief cuts are needed. I will check back later, thanks for all the help!

8. 32dooscoop

32dooscoop
    from UK

i had the same problems on my door panels and my headling panel on the curves.
    As people have said i used alignment marks and relief cuts on the curves, i also found using pins to help hold it all in position was usefull, it was one less thing to worry about

9. cornbinder52

cornbinder52
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here are the pieces.
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1356936320.033716.jpg
    I cut the blue fabric pretty close to size then decided to add the pleated panel in the middle, making them both 6 inches too long.
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1356936412.202565.jpg
    This is my hem on the top. The two relief cuts are per original fabric.

I may pull it apart and redo the center section with better foam. I don't have a local supplier of scrim foam so I used headliner fabric. I had to glue the foam to the vinyl so it would feed. Mom told me to use tissue paper over the vinyl to help it walk. Might try that.

10. cornbinder52

cornbinder52
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So when I made the patterns from the original fabric, I neglected to match up the pattern pieces to make sure they fit together. ImageUploadedByTJJ1356950158.343687.jpg
    The upper pattern is a bit off as you can see. Decided to make a new set of patterns and cut new fabric. I also will take the time to get some 1/2 inch foam when Joann opens and redo the center panel. Don't have it together yet, but looks better already.
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1356950321.155795.jpg
    I just laid the pleated piece in, the others are the new pieces.

11. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

Those pieces are not going to fit together.Too much difference in shape.Pick the one,cloth or vynil that you like best.[Persoanally,I think the vynil is the best shape.]Lay it on the other one,allowing the seam,keeping both flat.Now mark the edge of the keeper one.Roll it back and add the seam allowance to the new mark.This makes an exact pattern.I usuall mark a 3/8 7/16 seam and sew a 1/2.Also,and before marking sew the center and 2 cloths together.that will be the right width .Sure hope you understand,If i was there I could show you,but sometime can't tell. Good luck Jack

12. charlieb66

charlieb66

Two things from my learning experience. Use a high quality spray white adhesive for the scrim to the white vinyl, yellow based adhesive will bleed through. Second, a pull apart mistake and a redo with the same material can lead to the needle holes from the first try showing up along the final seam. I know you already have your material, but for other first timers, use one of the thinner vinyls, like "Mellowhide"
    as they are much easier to sew.

13. Do you have a "walking foot" on your sewing machine???? helps if you do

14. cornbinder52

cornbinder52
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks jack. The first picture is what I was trying to sew together the first time. After looking at it deconstructed, I saw just how dissimilar the two pieces were. The two blue pieces were not even the same size. That's when I look at the patterns and saw that they were not going to match. I made new patterns and cut new pieces. Once the center is sown in I will mark and cut to fit the top like you said.
    Charlie you are right about the yellow adhesive, it is already coming through.

15. cornbinder52

cornbinder52
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The pull apart and redo was only to save the blue pieces, which my newly made patterns tell me are too small. Will need to use them on the door panels or something. The vinyl can't be reused due to the holes, like you said.
    I wish I had a walking foot machine. Just a heavy duty singer from Joann fabric, and a singer 31-15 I got cheap on eBay (needs a better belt, slips too much) which is great for everything except thick material like foam. ImageUploadedByTJJ1356972352.711369.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1356972388.046047.jpg
    Thanks a bunch guys, I'll see what I can throw together today.

16. cornbinder52

cornbinder52
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Update. Bought a walking foot for my new singer. Wow what a difference. I tried using 1/2 inch foam for the pleats but the machine just won't do it. I don't like how the 1/4 inch headliner for looked on the old piece (I know I should have used better foam) so I am going without pleats in the center. Got the blue pieces and center vinyl piece sewn together and top stitched last night. Started with the top piece and got as far as the long straight stitch. Going to work on the curves tonight. Will post pics.

17. cornbinder52

cornbinder52
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Got her stitched together. I ended up doing a basting stitch to keep it all together instead of trying to pin it. It is not perfect, and will lay better when it is top stitched. For my first stab I think it's ok. ImageUploadedByTJJ1357120896.048606.jpg
    Thanks for all the help guys, it is great to have some guidance along the way!

18. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

Hey,thats pretty good.That should work fine,just don't mke the cover too big overall.Needs to stretch some to stay tight.Where did you get the cloth?I like the older looking stuff,not velour. jack

19. charlieb66

charlieb66

You are the final judge of how it looks. I did my upholstery in the DeSoto, it's not perfect, nor did it cost me thousands of dollars, even with the "do overs", and you as I can take pride is saying "I did it myself".

20. I reaslly dont understand your statement here,,,A walking foot is a built in feature on sewing machines,not something you can buy and add on

21. cornbinder52

cornbinder52
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here is the foot on the machine. View attachment 1827893
    You remove the presser foot at the ankle and replace it with this. It is driven off the needle screw. I bought it at Joann fabrics for like 14 bucks.

The blue fabric was a Joann bargain table find. I saw it and just could not leave it there. Doing the interior around it. Not sure if it is discontinued or not.

Here it is top stitched. Cutting out side pieces now.
    View attachment 1827895
    View attachment 1827896

22. cornbinder52

cornbinder52
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

For some reason the pictures didn't load.
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1357188841.176558.jpg
    Here in the foot.
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1357188868.639656.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1357188887.721384.jpg