Register now to get rid of these ads!

trick or tip? removing rolled pins

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by praisethelowered, Jul 12, 2005.

1. praisethelowered

praisethelowered

I always seem to mangle them and the hole they are in. . . .

I looked for special tools but have only found punches in larger sizes.. I am taking apart some carbs for powdercoating and don't want to screw these up like the last time . .

does anyone have a trick?

Attached Files:

2. Praisethelowered,

If you hack up the pin...Harbor Freight has a box set of 250 pins for $9.99

Just a thought to ease your mind.

I used a small flat round chisle or pin knockout rod...but oversized so you dont bore it into the pin and spring it out.

3. TvanD

TvanD
    from Newton IA

There are special punches for this called strangly enough roll pin punches. Try on of the tool trucks like Mac etc. or look at an agricultural supply place or tractor dealer. They have a little tit on the end to keep them centered in the roll pin and are cut under size so they don't ruin the hole.

4. jalopy43

jalopy43
    Member Emeritus

You can make a tool,with a pair of vise grips. a little tit on the end, with a back-up hole on the other side,to press them out. Hammering on carb parts make me skeered too! put a drop of oil to ease it out.:D Sparky