Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Trick for spreading an A rear spring

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Xman, Mar 20, 2016.

1. Xman

Xman

I have to remove the T/A rear spring from my 34. The standard straight bar spreader type won't work with a quick change in the way. I put it together when the body wasn't in the way and was still a pain in the ass. Anyone have an idea?

2. I built this, and it works well.
    IMG_0283 (Medium) (2).JPG

banjeaux bob likes this.
  3. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

In this case there is nothing like the correct tool.

4. I recently seen where a guy took a ratcheting binder and made wedge shaped ends instead of the hooks shopping.jpeg for a spring spreader.

5. trad27

trad27

. I second that, having seriously jacked my hand up when trying to put one shackle on and C clamp the other in position ,I know young and dumb.... Take your time and be carefull, buy the right spreader if you have to. Was one that duct tape couldn't fix , and I rarely say that. Ask some model A guys, they have some like what hemiduece posted to clear the banjo on a spring over set up.

6. Xman

Xman

Thanks for the pic and input. I thought I would have to make something, this helps.

7. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Xman,is there anyone in your area who might be able to lend you the tool?

8. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

HEY Tacoma area HAMBERs ! is anyone able to help Xman with his Model A rear spring?

9. MengesTwinCustoms

MengesTwinCustoms

I unbolt the spring pack then it spreads by hand easily. then using a c clamp and a long bolt like some all thread tighten the spring pack back together, then replace the long bolt with the correct one! I also made a spring spreader with a bottle jack and a pipe with tapered end on each side.

Russco likes this.
  10. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Here is what I built, a bent piece of 1 1/2" tube with sleeves and some 1" all thread, ground to a wedge point. The all thread floats in the sleeves, just turn the nuts with a wrench. Depending on how much stretch you end up with, you might want to mount the main leaf, and stack the others, using all thread for a center bolt. Draw it down, clamp it, and remove and install the correct center bolt. If you spend a little money and time to build one, it will always be handy and time well spent. IMG_2253_2.JPG

11. That is perfect, and would be much lighter than mine.
    Keith

12. I have used this spreader,great tool. HRP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I just take the pack apart anymore, last time I got stitches was due to trying to spread an A spring pack.

14. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

This is my spring spreader. It does both the front and rear springs. Spreader by itself on the front and add a piece of 2 by 4 clamped to the rear spring and it clears the quickchange and works great. Gary spring spreader 002.JPG spring spreader 004.JPG

15. Xman

Xman

All good advise. I think I'll take the spring apart and take the main leaf off by hand, with a little help from some clamps. Then reverse the process to install the new one.
    When I have more time I'd like to make one up like Marty Strode built. Simple and to the point. Thanks

16. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

raise the body high enough for the spring pack to clear the spring pocket in the crossmember. c-clamp the spring pack together on both sides of center bolt. remove center bolt and slowly loosen the c-clamps. the single main leaf is easily handled as a single leaf. When you go back together, take a piece of all thread approx 8" long and weld a nut on one end. grind the edges of the welded nut off to make the nut rounded so it fits nicely in the centerbolt pocket in the cross member. install main leaf then stack all your leafs up on top and drop the all thread down from the top. put nut on and pull spring pack back together. cut off remaining all thread. Ive used this method several times and works well. I pulled my rear springs apart about 3mos ago and reinstalled in about 3 hrs time.

Russco likes this.
  17. Xman

Xman

Yup, like it

18. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I do it just about the same way Ron described it.