Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Trick Flow aluminum double hump heads

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jbarker, Dec 23, 2018.

1. jbarker

jbarker

Just wondering if anyone here has tried them out or had the opportunity to look them over. I see summit is selling them. IMO the brodix 180 head is a better value. Not planning on jumping ship on the tradition double humps, but if money starts approaching 1000 bucks, it's a no brainer at that point.

Deuces, Billybobdad and wwilliammc like this.
  2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

On a purely aesthetic level I think Trick Flows' "true" camel hump aluminum castings are a great alternative to the original versions considering the improvements they have built into them. On a performance level I see numerous other heads on the market that offer more in the hp making department, your Brodix example to name one, though for making real horsepower I would think something in the 210 range, I am using the AFR 210's on mine.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
  3. I looked into them to go under my M/T cross ram, there's no denying it would look really cool but like you said there's more bang for that buck in other brands, they just don't look as cool.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
    31hotrodguy, mad mikey and Deuces like this.
  4. Raunchy

Raunchy

I had a set of double humps rebuilt new valves 3 angle grind, screw in studs, pocket work, springs ,retainers and PC seals. Final bill was more than a set of aluminum heads. Just because I wanted them.I actually think they are the limiting factor on the 327 I put them on. Didn't have the Trick flows available till right after I redid these.

5. At $670 each at Summit, there are better heads to be had for the same or less money. They come with or without accessory holes. You can spend as much to have an old pair of 492 steel heads done over. There is definitely a market for them. I may make up a pair of camel-hump silhouettes out of aluminum and JB Weld them to my Dart heads...

6. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

Thinking of filling the boltholes and grinding and shaping my brodix heads. would like to tig a couple of tabs for the offset valve covers also.

7. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

You guys that are familiar with Greg Porters' green "Night Stalker" 55 Chevy hardtop SEGA C/gas car will want to get the February issue of Super Chevy magazine as it is on the cover with a feature article.
    Looking at the engine I thought his camel hump heads seemed just a little "off", on closer inspection and IF I see it correctly; it appears he has done some visual trickery by forming a camel hump on what appears to be aftermarket heads (not Trick Flows).
    There is no way this car runs as hard as it does with a stock configured head.
    Enjoy!

8. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Deuces, Tickety Boo and Johnny Gee like this.
  9. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Question -

HOW...do you guys know about the lack of performance of the Trick Flow heads ? And or the better performance of other brands with "similarly" sized intake and exhaust valves and ports ?

Personal use, close friends use, or...just reading about them and forming some personal , best guess opinion (port size !) ?

Mike

ottoman and Fordors like this.
  10. I would say they are aftermarket heads with the humps added, I like it!
    I also like the valve cover spacers under GM valve covers. I've done that trick on a 383 roller motor dressed like a goodwrench crate motor, all painted black with actual goodwrench crate motor valve covers.
    024-1955-gasser-chevy-nightstalker-vintage.jpg

29EHV8, Deuces, kidcampbell71 and 3 others like this.
  11. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I'd post a photo of my AFR 210's but it would probably get 86'd.
    As to their credibility in the world of high performance heads their reputation is solid.

Deuces, AHotRod, 31hotrodguy and 2 others like this.
  12. Are they sneaky looking??

Deuces likes this.
  13. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Nope, I have the best of both worlds.

20160118_092513.jpg 20170226_145049.jpg

1Nimrod, 29EHV8, Tickety Boo and 3 others like this.
  14. Trick flow has always been a great street head but fall short to others making max power/torque. In their own words it says it's a good street head."

"https://www.rodauthority.com/tech-stories/engine/double-hump-heads-trick-flow/

Deuces and loudbang like this.
  15. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

On summit racing under the reviews some claimed to have dyno them compared to his 461’s. Claimed almost 50 hp and 50 ft pounds.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang, bobss396 and Deuces like this.
  16. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

That car went 8.89 I believe at Bakersfield a couple years back , it’s really amazing it’s that fast if you see it in person it just looks like an old rough cobbled race car that may run a 12 if it’s lucky...
    i doubt there is a single GM piece inside that motor , I think that’s why he isn’t with sega anymore as they had some rule changes

31hotrodguy, loudbang and lumpy 63 like this.
  17. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Yep, I was there, couldnt get enough of it.
    The thing is just a rocket, my friend saw it in the pits but missed the first pass and I told him "don't drink any more beer till Porter runs again", he finally witnessed it and his jaw just dropped.
    I sure would like to see the complete story on that engine.

Deuces and 29EHV8 like this.
  18. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

I think it might be a Fulton motor.. I went to a SEGA race few years back those southern boys ain’t no joke! far as I’m concerned that area IS the hot bed of hotrodding these days

Deuces, Tickety Boo, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  19. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Intake manifold seriously dissected and welded back together and yes heads are welded up to look like fuelies. Pretty sure not many oem parts in that engine. I do give him credit cause it does haul ass for what it is. But it's all modern shit wearing a clever disguise ...

20. Most of us have our favorite SBC heads, go with what you know, all part of a formula that works for you. You can take them out of the box and slap them on (guilty as charged at times...) or go with some extra work on them, just about any decent head shop will be happy to do this for you in exchange for pictures of dead presidents. There are 4 or 5 makers of aluminum heads I looked at for my last build and I went with Dart SHP 180 heads and their matched intake. I'm happy with the combination. But I drive it mainly on the street like a normal person. If you tend to drive more with your foot stuck in the carb, you'll need to do more homework and get something more applicable.

loudbang likes this.
  21. 402BOSSMAN

402BOSSMAN

I was at Bakersfield that weekend when Greg Porter won that class. Hung around with him and a few other Southeast Gasser guys in the Winners Circle. That Fulton engine is around 460ci and has 12 degree raised runner heads on it with some camel humps welded on the end to "look the part." The tunnel ram intake was sectioned etc..... nicely done BTW.

Link to the finals at Bakersfield that year.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BL7f-nEDAEx/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=184vl8ijaxpjr

Screenshot_2018-12-27-00-01-34-1.png

22. 402BOSSMAN

402BOSSMAN

As far as the Trick Fheads are concerned I started working on one the second they were released. I'm hoping to offer a CNC Program for them down the road but I hit a wall that is holding the head back, I think it may be the combustion chamber design. It will take some more time on my part to get it sorted out and finish the R&D on it.
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...fe-into-a-283-jr-fuel-destined.1085889/page-5

Budget36, Deuces, chevyguy327 and 4 others like this.
  23. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

Trick Flow heads work very well. Compared to what us Dodge boys have to spend, they are cheap to us....

I have done builds with Trick Flows on sbc's, and had great results. I know of one "OT" car that was smog compliment, ran mid 12's in the quarter, and while the AC was in in Phoenix Arizona. This car was my roommates car, once the Trick Flow heads were used, the car really woke up! For what it's worth, it was around 112°F that day at the track. Very impressive results for a full on street car that wasn't lightened... It was using the TBI too... Not the TPI set up. I was impressed...

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  24. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

loudbang likes this.
  25. jbarker

jbarker

I guess it all depends what you would want in the end. I know if I was approaching 1000 bucks on original double hump heads I'd start looking for alternatives. Unless you were going to paint the TF humps, would it really matter going to another aftermarket head at that point?

26. They should come already painted!

31hotrodguy and loudbang like this.
  27. Roothawg

Roothawg

How in the world can he run in C/Gas at 460 CID?

28. bangngears

bangngears
    from ofallon mo

I like the valve covers. Simple way to get e taller valve cover

29. 402BOSSMAN

402BOSSMAN

He was in A/Gas.

30. jailbird

jailbird

one bad bad 55, the set up looks so simple, I wonder how much it weighs I like the carbs sideways

Deuces likes this.