Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Tri five chevy 2 door conversion "kit" new?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by low budget, Oct 11, 2015.

1. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

2. Wow, Very interesting and yes I'm also surprised that no one has come up with this before.

volvobrynk and low budget like this.
  3. [​IMG]Thanks, that's an interesting piece! Danchuk sells a complete quarter, 1955 shown here. $799. Of course, then it's digging deeper into the car.
    It would be interesting for guys with metal skills far beyond my own to comment on this.

4. badshifter

badshifter

The cut, or shape of those pieces make no sense. You'd still have a big missing section of quarter panel to fabricate, find and fill. And the inner piece has none of the structure to mount or locate a rear window. Not to mention welding 5 feet of curved seam on a quarter panel. Notice they don't show a kit being installed or any fabrication photos.

volvobrynk, low budget and beebing like this.

5. Badshifter - That makes a lot of sense, to me. Like a patch panel, it has to be fully welded in. Then it's still a patch. The full quarter makes for an original looking job.

volvobrynk and low budget like this.
  6. then you have to buy the inner support...
    55-inner.jpg $685.00

volvobrynk likes this.
  7. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Yeah, doesn't make any sense. You're essentially paying $900 per car (L&R) for side quarter window frames/door jambs. You still have all the work of welding in the 4 dr. rear door skin.
    They should have tooled the stamping to include the space where the rear doors sat; brought the quarter skin all the way back to meet the 4dr. quarter panel location at the rear door jamb.
    At $1600 per car (L&R), you can have full, one piece quarter's and not have to weld in the rear door skins ($700 more per car).

8. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Yeah, It does look like they would leave enough skin to cover the entire 4 door opening while they were at it, this may just be whats left of full quarters after someone cut off the only part they needed ???

volvobrynk likes this.
  9. cheepsk8

cheepsk8
    from west ky

Either way you go, it beats cobbling those qtr windows together. If I ever did the conversion, I have doubts that I would even have a roll up rear qtr glass. Mine has only been rolled down once on each side when I bought it to see if they worked.

low budget likes this.
  10. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

too many negative waves.....

11. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

At first blush, they look perfect for an altered wheelbase ride with radically radiused wheelwells. But then again , I may have a twisted imagination.

12. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

those parts don't make any sense at all. your four door already has the door jambs. and you would have to be a total idiot to make that big sweeping weld and add part of the rear door. I could almost see selling just the window area since you would have to patch that together from the original, otherwise it is a total waste of money.

I could see some poor soul buying those and bringing them to a reputable shop to be put together only to hear they threw their money away.

13. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Interesting idea... if you have the die to make the quarter panel you can make the 2 door conversion panel on the same die, using a smaller piece of metal.

14. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Jambs are different between 2 and 4 doors but I will agree about the having to add part of the rear door.

15. Squablow

Squablow

Having done this conversion, what I really want to see is what the piece looks like where it attaches to the roof under the drip rail. If it's got that, that's all you really need, assuming you don't require functional rear quarter windows. If your quarters are shot, put full skins on after these are in. if not, just use the old door skin.

It's the inner panel that the window regulator mounts to that's the really tough part. You could use chunks of the old rear doors to make something that a garnish would mount to and you could put a door panel on it and a fixed window in it, but getting it to roll up and down would be really tough.

I did this one for my dad, the donor quarters were pretty fucked and I had to use the bottom of the old door to fill in anyway, wouldn't have been a big deal to go up another foot. collage1.JPG smalldonor1.jpg 03-31-15 002.jpg

16. cheepsk8

cheepsk8
    from west ky

Nice job Squablow on the 56, I remember watching that thread and wondering what went with it. For our welding test [gas of course] in body shop school, We shortened a 68 chevy long bed and turned it into a short bed, frame and all. The bed sides were a major pain requiring sectioning much like has been described in the compound curve of the front of the rear qtr. The warpage had to be kept at a minimum since it was a mostly flat surface. I went out to the shop today and looked at the area on my car and tried to imagine making that cut and weld with today's technology. I don't know this but wouldn't the qtr glass frame and enough of the rear qtr to go past the back door be easier to splice in? I'm glad I bought a 2 door, looks like a tough gig.

17. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

without even having a look I can gauranfuckingtee you the 4 door jambs could be used without spending 900 bucks on those stupid parts

18. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Yep!:D..............only said they are different...........it all depends on how a guy wants to do things I guess.