Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tri Carbs or 2 4 Barrels ??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by John in Oz, Oct 1, 2010.

1. John in Oz

John in Oz

I have an FE Engine and have been debating which would be the best, use and Edelbrock Triple carb set up or 2x4 barrel set up, what are your folks opinions, this is going in a model A. I am sure I will be using the Edelbrock carbs because from what I have seen in recent times they apear the easier to set up and reliability is great for a street rod.

I have had some say use the 3 carb set up and other give me reason to use 2x4's so if anyone has a good reason for one or the other I am interested, it is only a cruiser and once in a blue moon it might make it to the track.

I'll be manufacturing my own old style air cleaner as well, you know how it is, just how I want it and not just an off the shelf item.

2. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

I'm going for the early 60s street look so I am going 3 deuces.(Rochester's) Dual quads say race car to me. Probably not a big difference in normal street driving if you can keep your foot out of it. I have always had a fondness for 3 deuces. If you are not racing, figure out the look that you want...nostalgia or race car.

3. I have an FE affliction dating back several decades.My personal favorite induction system is the original Ford 6V system ( Ford's name for their FE tri-power). I have had this system on many of the FE's I have owned and found them to be reliable, easy to tune, and very cool looking. That being said, there is certainly nothing wrong with the 2X4 set-up either.

4. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

nothing says Hot Rod more than tri power. Running on the center car gives great gas mileage and throttle response, and opening up the outer two gets the job done when needed.

5. missysdad1

missysdad1

If it's not a matter of performance, go with three deuces. Very traditional and look "right" on an early car.

6. carbking

carbking

1968 Ford F-100 390 4-speed with Offy intake and 2 genuine Carter AFB carbs.

22 MPG at 70 MPH (of course, I did play with the carbs a wee bit).

Have a complete original Ford '63 6V setup (carbs restored by Holley Custom Shop) that I decided NOT to use (much prefer the AFB's).

Jon.

7. 4tford

4tford

I have run both, that said the tri power seems more traditional on an FE to me. The 390, 401, and 406 had the tri power and later 427 dual quads.

8. I would go with Tri Power. I run SBFs and have a factory SBF tripower set up on my Falcon and run a Factory 2X4 setup on my Roadster. Both are cool

9. Question comes up all the time. Different engines but the same basic setup.

I'm a 2x4 guy myself. I've raced and driven both and just prefer the 2x4.
    I supose I could come up with a dozen reasons to run either but it wouldn't change my personal opinion.

10. I always though tri carbs were for six cylinders and 2x4s for V8s! ;>)
    Don

11. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Normally I would say triple dueces, but on a FE, dual quads (Holley's only) just have that classic look that screams power. Think GT40 or Shelby Daytona.
    [​IMG]

12. FM
    That looks sweet!!!!

Last edited: Oct 2, 2010
  13. Depends, are you just trying to look cool (use the Tri Power) or do you have a motor that makes serious power (use the 2-4's)

14. John in Oz

John in Oz

Thanks gus, well the engine will be just a mild build and a cruiser really so just a big enough cam to have the 2 bob, 2 bob, effect. The 2 x 4's look very impressive and the mialage in the F truck sounds good as well, but the car will be a more traditional style High boy but with rear Bobbed fenders. Lets be honest Fuel mileage wont be a problem anyway because I'll most likely run fairly tall Diff gears because it is a light weight car.

So thanks anyway guys.

15. TooManyFords

TooManyFords
    from Peotone IL

What is that going in? It is b e a utiful!!!!!!!!!

16. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Not mine (but it is the inspiration for the 352 I currently have at the machine shop), just a pic off wikipedia.

17. My decision dates back to the 70s and an old flathead merc i had. Nothing is more pleasing to the eye than 3 deuces. I vote 3 2s.

18. rustydeuce

rustydeuce

Triples get my vote John.

Regards
    Dale

19. carbking

carbking

The dual fours are technically (and functionally) superior to the 6V (or tripower or sixpack) on a V-8 engine. Significantly so in power, marginally so in fuel economy if solid linkage is used. If progressive linkage is used on the dual fours, then the 6V will marginally be the winner in fuel economy. All of the above have been proved on various V-8's time and time again.

In your case the argument above is probably moot. Either is going to produce more power than you need in the light vehicle you have; and fuel economy is not really a factor on a seldom driven vehicle.

Probably the most important criteria for you to consider is what YOU like (looks). After all, it is YOUR vehicle. The second most critical issue would be what carburetors to use, regardless of the format on which you decide.

As to what others (including me) think; well, not really as important as what you think.

Either way, do it well, and it will turn heads!

Jon.

20. Lukydevl

Lukydevl
    from Arizona

Tripps Man! it looks bitchin.

21. Magnus

Magnus
    from Sweden

The more the merrier.

22. MERC 55

MERC 55

Don't forget the autolite 2100's

Attached Files:

23. John in Oz

John in Oz

Merc, those look very interesting, are you able to tell me more about that set up please.

24. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I really dig tri-power on any big block that's going to be street driven. My obsession is BBC's and the highrise Holley tri-power that was available only in '67 is what I run. The tripower was available through '69 from Chevy on the big block but the last two years featured a much lower rise manifold that didn't flow as well (or make as much horsepower) due to the lower hood line introduced in '68. I've got a new set of very low production 500 CFM carbs for all 3 locations) that chevy made for all out road racing I'll be using if I ever get to building the '32 5w I've had for almost 40 years.

Frank

25. 40yearslate

40yearslate
    from Denver, CO

both are killer, but I like the tripower the best. I would recommend straightening out the carb gasket surfaces with a very-fine hand file, or bridgeport mill... cause holley didn't. That way they don't leak, pull good vacuum, and run like tits! just like mine have for almost 3 years now on my 390 hipo. Also, i would recommend blocking the exhaust-crossover passage in the intake so it won't rot-out.

Attached Files:

26. uglydog56

uglydog56

If you are parking at the show, I'd go with the trips. If you're driving it frequently or long, 2/4's. I've ran an Offy with edelbrocks on my sbc's for years, awesome driveability, superb throttle response, great mileage after I played with them just a little. The trips are more period. I just hate dicking with 2bbl carbs. The edelbrocks are readily available and you can get parts and tuning stuff at most oreilly's autozone etc. these days.

27. John in Oz

John in Oz

Well thank you all very much, it has been most informative so I will take it all on board, all I have to do now is work out the size of me FE because until I pull th epan and do some measurements I don't know what I have, I have been told though it is a Lincoln motor because the engine mounts are different which wont worry me for what I am doing.

ANyway thanks again,

All the best to you all, John

28. Just for giggles here is the one on my 260 in my Falcon
    [​IMG]

29. Troyz

Troyz

I ran both on a SBC (9.5 to 1, 383 stroker with good heads & aggressive cam). the tri-power looked way cooler and got lots of coments, but the 2 4's with a progressive linkage woke the motor up and kept it pulling harder and longer.

30. MERC 55

MERC 55

John in OZ, this trip duce settup is from Pony carbs, in Las Cruces, NM. it's a 302 sbf with 3 2100's on a blue thunder manifold. VERY streetable and good power.