Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tri Carbs for a Smallblock Ford??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Spooky, Mar 5, 2004.

1. Spooky

Spooky

Howza Bruthas,
    Who made these for Ford? Why are they so damned hard to find?
    Or are they? [​IMG]

2. porknbeaner

porknbeaner

Holley.
    No you just get the part numbers and buy them from Holley.
    Or contact the tech guys at the Holley Site and they will fix you up.

We are talking small block like 289/302/351 right?

3. Revhead

Revhead
    from Dallas, TX

4. FEDER

FEDER

If your talkin 289-302 the only ones I have ever seen are the factory ones and you better have a REALLY fat wallet.---FEDER

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. Radshit

Radshit

6. Therat

Therat

I bought a carb from Ponycarbs a few years ago. It arrived busted and when I phoned the guy to complain, he essentially told me "Tough shit, it was in good shape when it was sent to you." I have waited 8 years to tell someone, and now I have. If it wasn't such a long trip, I would drive down there and slap his wife.

7. Radshit

Radshit

I would never buy a set-up from these guys anyway...they're too expensive!......but I like to go their website for reference.....I have a number of a guy here local that has tons of Ford crap...he's cheap and he's honest.......If any body wants it let me know...Neal

8. Pigiron

Pigiron

Ford originally only made 600 SBF units. Those old setups sell for about $2000. in good shape. You can no longer buy those carbs from Holley. You CAN buy a manifold repop from Blue Thunder dealers for about $350-400 bucks. You CAN use Autolite 2100 carbs after they have been modified for a cool 3X2 setup. You CAN buy the original STYLE air cleaners, fuel logs and linkage from various dealers. I know because I have built a few 3X2s from scratch. You CAN also use the GM tripower carbs on adapters, I've done that also.

9. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

Oh, man...if we'd only known back THEN, eh??? [​IMG]

Back in the 80s, a buddy of mine bought a small block Ford tri-power set-up at a swap meet complete with intake, carbs and oval air cleaner for like $125. We put it on his 302 powered Pinto after it served some time his 68 Cougar!

For what it's worth, those systems work EXCELLENT on a well built small block...but they sure as Hell got EXPENSIVE!!! Back then, $100-$175 was the norm around here, and we thought THAT was getting too pricey!

Wish I woulda bought a few!!! [​IMG]

10. Spooky

Spooky

Holy Crap!
    Well, that hought is out.

11. old beet

old beet

I'm not sure, but I think they use all the same stuff as the big block set up. Linkage, fuel log, air cleaner and maybe carbs...........OLDBEET

12. Pigiron

Pigiron

Carbs are smaller for SBF than the FEs. Linkage is different, fuel log is not the same because of mounting holes to valve cover. The air cleaners are the same.

13. TP

TP
    from conroe tx

Didn't Buddy Bar make them for ford?

14. recycler

recycler

I could have swore they had new manifolds in Summit a couple years ago. Edelbrock or Offy I think. They still have dual 4bl manifolds new. Brad

15. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

[ QUOTE ]
    I could have swore they had new manifolds in Summit a couple years ago. Edelbrock or Offy I think. They still have dual 4bl manifolds new. Brad

[/ QUOTE ]

I checked at work today... no intake in Holley, Weiand, Edelbrock, or Offy. I called some of my street rod guys... they say the factory deal is it. You'll have to find one used.

16. Spooky

Spooky

By the way guys, THANX for the info.
    Gawdaammmit anyways this board is the best!!!
    [​IMG]

17. Django

Django
    from Chicago

No, I asked this question 6 or 7 mos ago and was given two links to places that had a sbf 3x2 intake for about $450. I still want one, but for now I am sticking with my Edelbrock 4bbl kit I bought. Maybe in a couple years, after I've had the car roadworthy for awhile, I'll think about going that route again.

18. Pigiron

Pigiron

YOU CAN STILL BUY A TRIPOWER MANIFOLD FOR A SMALL BLOCK FORD FROM BLUE THUNDER DEALERS FOR $350-400. BLUE THUNDER REPOPS THE ORIGINAL MANIFOLDS. Jeez! Don't some of you guys read what has already been posted about a subject? [​IMG]

19. Spooky

Spooky

Whoa!
    Down Pigiron.

20. Phil1934

Phil1934

We have several HAMBers making manifolds with EFI lowers with the dividers milled down and an aluminum plate with the carb mounts. I haven't heard any completed tales yet, though.

21. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

Phil, I never finished mine because I've kinda put it on the back burner while I work on my current Chevy project, but it's really not a difficult thing to do...just looks kinda weird!

Essentially, I got a free stock 1986-88 Mustang GT 5.0 lower intake and ripped all of the fittings and unwanted stuff off of it. From there, you could grind down the dividers a little, or "cheat" like I'm doing and ordere a phenolic spacer that's designed to go between the upper and lower intakes on an EFI manifold. The dividers on the spacer can easily be cut out, leaving you to do the same with the gaskets and providing for a short but open plenum area above all of the passages leading to the cylinders.

For mine, I'm making a flat top plate out of aluminum stock and collecting a few cheap old VW Solex style carbs to top it off with. Then, it's a matter of plugging the old injector holes and engineering linkage and fuel lines!

I'll get back on it once the Chevy is running and post some pics, but it's really pretty simple, backyard shadetree hackery...my kinda stuff!!!

[​IMG] [​IMG]