Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tri carb sbc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flathead okie, Feb 26, 2012.

1. flathead okie

flathead okie

Can anyone tell me anything I need to know on the set up of carburetors and linkage on a 3 deuce set up using Edelbrock intake and Rochester carburetors? I just bought this set up and want to use it on my A coupe.
    All the carburetors are identical, I think only the center one should have the choke functional. What brand linkage is the best, etc. Any and all help appreciated. Thanks

2. oj

oj

I just finished making the choke stuff on that same setup, only the centercarb get a choke as the outboard carb throttle plates should be 100% closed at idle. I udes a piece of the orginal choke linkage as an arm and made a cable bracket that went under the bolts on top of the baseplate so that the choke cable came from behind the distributor, laid on the intake and turned up at the middle carb and secured the cable with my bracket while the inner wire extended up for another 1/2" or so and terminated into the rochester choke arm.
    The choke really worked great but because of how the rochester bracket for high idle is made you'll have to engage the initial choke while the throttle pedal is depressed - you'll see what i mean when you get messing with it. It take less than an inch of travel to fully engage the choke.
    The car i did this on is now gone from the shop but if needed i can get pics.
    The cars owner provided a choke kit but teh parts'pieces were so poorly made that i gave them back to him, the choke cable assembly i like is from 48-51ish gm pickup and it has a neat handle youd like.

3. flathead okie

flathead okie

Yeah, pics would be great if possible, as I have no reference or experience on this type of set up. Thanks

4. flathead okie

flathead okie

Anybody else............

5. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I bought a kit and linkage from www.hotrodcarbs.com this included modified bases with thicker butterflies for the end carbs and power valve blockoffs. Excellent instructions.

6. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Do a search...there's a thread somewhere on converting your end carbs for secondary use...provided that's the route yer going...ie: progressive.
    Basically ya block off the idle circuits and file the butterflies to get them to seal tight....
    I did this years ago....but never really drove the car much, as I "upgraded" to a 4x2....:D

7. Jimv

Jimv

I made my own progressive linkage from a post on here,Search it, it was easy & works perfect.I also Blank out my end carbs & made them into seconadries.
    JimV

8. http://www.pontiactripower.com/shop/?category=66_Tripower&pagenum=1

Lots of stuff to learn about tri carb set UPS. Once you get the hang of what's happening its a real nice set up. Understanding how it was designed will lead to successful operation of a modified system.

The end carbs should be complety different. They can be modified to work = $$$. The air horn is different, they should be jetted differently, the base is different the throttle shafts are different, the linkage arms are different, the butterfies are different, the bases are different.

9. Larry Fulton

Larry Fulton

Gasser, Thank You again for your referrals...

10. if it is an edelbrock setup I would get edelbrock linkage.

yes the center carb should have a choke and unless you have outboard specific carb bases for the out board carbs leave the idle circuite intact on all the carbs.

11. 26 roadster

26 roadster

Rochester carb tech social group on here has the info you need, and people who have done it

12. Uh you don't have to belong to a social group to have done it. The social group is no doubt a good idea for the fella but there is no reason to be offensive about it.:(

13. 52Poncho

52Poncho

Larry Fulton (HAMB Member) at AUTOMOTION Rochester Carburetor Service has all you need. He is a real good guy can help with setup too.

http://www.hotrodcarbs.com/

14. Larry Fulton

Larry Fulton