Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Tri 5 GM wiper motor wiring

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flypa38, Sep 5, 2014.

1. flypa38

flypa38

Hey fellas. I have a 56 Pontiac with a 56 Chevy electric wiper motor. Currently wired to an ignition hot terminal on the fuse block. I'd like to clean up my wiring a little and was told to wire it to the top side of the ballast resistor. Is there any danger of burning up the ballast resistor if the motor screws up or is the thermal circuit breaker inside the motor enough to protect the resistor? I know 55-57 Chevy was wired this way but I don't know if it is also fused somewhere else.
    Any input is appreciated!
    Johnny

2. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

That's how the factory hooked them up.
    It is protected internally and should have no effect on the ballast resistor.
    KK

3. flypa38

flypa38

No fuse inline then?
    Pontiac's shop manual says there's a wire from the fuse block with an inline fuse holder. I wonder why Pontiac felt the need for an extra fuse and an extra 4 feet of wire. Seems unnecessary considering the motor is about 4 inches from the ballast resistor!
    Thanks for the reply!
    Johnny

4. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Blow the fuse or wire to the ballast from ignition switch and engine quits! I would wire the motor with it's own fuse from the fuse block.