Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Tremec T170 rts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by autoworx1, Aug 29, 2018.

1. autoworx1

autoworx1
    from kansas

So, I have made progress on my 29' AV8 coupe over the last couple weeks. I'm to the point of getting the motor and trans installed. I'm curious what info I can find on a transmission I've found from a local guy. It's the aluminum case Tremec T170. I've read every post here and I've searched with Google. Seems there isn't a lot of info out there. Maybe for good reason..... However, I can get the transmission bought for $50 so I'm willing to do the research if others have had good luck with this swap. I called Bendtsens this week and they say a GM T5 adapter from Speedway will fit if you oversize the holes. Any truth to this? Any and all information is appreciated!

2. tjm73

tjm73

3. autoworx1

autoworx1
    from kansas

Thanks for the info! Curious about the adapter options and if the wide ratio is effected by the low power output of the Flathead?

4. flatjack

flatjack

I've been running one in my car for over 20 years now and wouldn't change a thing. It will mount to an 8BA bellhousing with a little work or there is an adapter available for mounting to an early engine.

5. lake_harley

lake_harley

If you can buy a RTS-170 for $50, buy it, even if you don't think you'll ever use it. In fact, if you buy it and don't use it, I'll drive out to Kansas and buy it from you at a substantial profit.

Regarding using it behind a flathead V-8, I don't have any info to share, but do a search of "RTS-170" and I think you'll find several references about the transmission. This thread by "manyolcars" is probably the best source of info about using one in a Model A behind the 4-banger. https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...-original-model-a-engine-w-torquetube.728951/ I don't know how much of the info applies to using it with a V-8.

Lynn

kidcampbell71 and autoworx1 like this.
  6. autoworx1

autoworx1
    from kansas

Did you do the conversion on the output shaft to keep the torque tube or are you open drive?

7. Kato Kings

Kato Kings
    from Minnesota

I have one open drive t-170 behind a 324 olds in a model a coupe and love it.

autoworx1 likes this.
  8. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Despite this line from the F150hub website,
    "They are toploading transmissions, but this is not to suggest that the transmissions are part of the Ford Toploader family",
    These transmissions most definitely are in the Toploader family. The entire innards can be swapped from a SROD, Jeep T176, T177 etc. into a 1960s Toploader four speed with a bit of machining. Plus the overhaul kits cover all of these four speeds.

9. autoworx1

autoworx1
    from kansas

Looks almost stock! I see you've "blurred" out the adapter logo?? Can you tell us the brand and if the bolt pattern is within 1/8" of a GM T5 pattern?

10. 55styleliner

55styleliner

I’ve got one behind the 8BA in my ‘28 Pickup. I love it. There are 3 different gear sets available in this trans, the one with the 3.00 first gear is what I am using and it works great. I had a wider ratio one in it originally and the 2-3 gap was pretty big and the taller OD was a little to tall. MEC makes the adapter for it to be a bolt up deal. Had a few issues with the clutch disc getting one with the right input splines. The best part is the shifter comes through the floor only about 2-3” back from the original.

1BDB768E-C5FE-4121-B569-69411D271FC1.jpeg
    55B51503-524C-4274-A246-C0DAC5877470.jpeg
    897238C8-AA35-4CDC-95E8-B7B6C274C826.jpeg

mgtstumpy, INVISIBLEKID and autoworx1 like this.
  11. autoworx1

autoworx1
    from kansas

I keep reading about MEC and Model A Only as vendors of the exact adapter. There is actually a post here on the HAMB that had a link for both. Unfortunately, both links take you to a generic website purchasing page. Does anyone have a good number for MEC? Is this Gene Sanders' business?

12. 55styleliner

55styleliner

autoworx1 likes this.
  13. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

Yes, it's Genes' business. Hope he's OK. Great guy with really nice products

14. flatjack

flatjack

I've got a friend who got one about 2 months ago.

15. autoworx1

autoworx1
    from kansas

I just picked up the transmission this afternoon. On the way home with it, I decided to stop by another guys place who I thought might have another one........I have two.

55styleliner and Beanscoot like this.
  16. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

As a Hot Rodder in good standing, you are required to have numerous spare engines and transmissions.

Hnstray and scotty t like this.
  17. 55styleliner

55styleliner

18. autoworx1

autoworx1
    from kansas

19. 55styleliner

55styleliner

The AK is the one you want! ;-). Most car like of this group of truck transmissions.

20. autoworx1

autoworx1
    from kansas

UPDATE: The phone number listed for Gene is now working. I spoke with him earlier today. He couldn't have been any nicer! He says he's continuing to have issues with the website.

Adapter is ordered!!

55styleliner likes this.
  21. flatjack

flatjack

good to know.

22. autoworx1

autoworx1
    from kansas

I got my adapter yesterday. Tonight I went out to see how well it fit the motor/transmission. I'm telling you guys right now, it fits like Henry Ford himself had it cast and machined! The alignment pins on the bellhousing fit so well, they nearly snap into the holes. The transmission bolts and bellhousing bolts are directly on center. There were ZERO issues. Gene provides an oilite bronze bushing to adapt the bearing retainer OD to the larger ID of the throwout bearing. I'm not sure if he wants his prices posted online so I'll only say he is cheaper than any other vendor. Shipping takes a little longer than most big box supplier's but the hand written receipt and thank you note from the guy that made it was well worth the extra couple days. I would like to extend a huge thank you to Gene Sanders with MEC. For any Flathead Ford adapters......Gene is your guy!!

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
    Budget36 likes this.
  23. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

"...it fits like Henry Ford himself had it cast and machined!"

So it is made properly! Good to hear, a lot of stuff isn't.

autoworx1 likes this.
  24. Not anything to add, except that you got a screaming deal!!:cool:
    I've only found one in my part of the world, a RTS-RS. It was $400 and had been sitting out under an eave with open speedo drive.
    Still looking...……….in case someone has a lead. :D

25. lake_harley

lake_harley

autoworxl....which of the 3 overdrive ratio RTS-170's did you end up with? I had looked and looked and finally found one transmission that is the .70:1 overdrive. I bought it, but I fear it might be a bit too much overdrive for my application. I would have preferred the .78:1 overdrive.

Lynn

26. Piston

Piston
    from Monroe, GA

How do I reach Gene Sanders at MEC? Many thanks, Piston

27. autoworx1

autoworx1
    from kansas

Model Engineering Company-MEC 330-644-3450.
    You might have to try a couple times. I think Gene spends a lot of his time machining parts so he is away from the phone more often than not.

28. How long is the Oilite bushing?

29. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Before I decided to stay with the 3 speed in my '39 p/u I had a T170 and ordered an adapter from Gene. Quality product and a great guy to deal with. Also ordered thermostat housings for my 8ba using an early style radiator again a quality product. Yes, his web site is less than perfect and he is hard to get a hold of on the phone but he and his products more than make up for this relatively minor issue.

autoworx1 likes this.