Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tremec 4 speed manual transmission (with Overdrive)

Discussion in 'Parts For Sale' started by LittleBeefy, Jun 8, 2021.

1. LittleBeefy

LittleBeefy

City: Atlanta

State: Georgia
    Price: 700
    I am selling the Tremec T170 RTS T170FT-RTS TOD manual transmission with 4 speeds (including overdrive) that I am pulling out of my running 84 Bronco. It is a heavy duty transmission originally installed in Ford pickups and Ford Broncos. It has an aluminum case with an aluminum shift tower with a cane shifter. It works fine and I drive the truck almost everyday, but I’m going to a big block and have no use for this extremely rare transmission anymore. It is still installed for a couple more weeks, which means you can still see it operating before you buy it if you want. Don’t worry, I’ll still be pulling it out for you.

This is a great transmission for a Ford or a Jeep. My understanding is that, because it is only 4 speeds, it has one of the shortest overall lengths of any transmission with OD so it's popular with the CJ-5 crowd and for the Model A, as well as being a great application for the Bronco.

In Jeeps, he RTS transmission is an alternative replacement as a heavy duty transmission with overdrive for D-18 and D-20 transfer cases. It can be used in conjunction with a (WARN) style OD as well.
    This transmission is a good replacement for the T-14 transmission behind a V-6. The RTS is also a direct replacement for the T-150 transmission (’76-’80 CJ’s) that bolts direct to the 258 6 cylinder(4 liter) and 304 V-8 with the D-20 transfer case. The RTS is also adaptable the the ’72-’75 258 6 cylinder and 304 V-8 with the changing of the bellhousing with the D-20 transfer case. I'm not sure if this is a direct swap for the T170 without OD that came in Jeeps.

Please note that their or other types of T170 used in Fords that were referred to as RUG or SMOD or SROD. That is not what I have. I definitely have the TOD version (also known as RTS).

Buyer will got the transmission, the shift tower and shift handle, the bellhousing (it’s for a SBF), the tail housing, and the clutch, fork, pressure plate, and TOB if you want them.

I also have an NP208 transfer case (works perfectly, still installed) available for sale separately and if you buy them both I’ll throw in all the shifter components for that as well.

EDIT: I have added pics of the tag and the installed unit (dirty). The tag shows this to be an RTS AH model (37.9% OD ratio). I have attached another pic that shows the details (it's the middle row)
    image0(4).jpeg
    image1(3).jpeg
    gears.JPG

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
  2. LittleBeefy

LittleBeefy