Register now to get rid of these ads!

Treasure found - 1940 plymouth

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by skiviskaves, Nov 10, 2010.

1. skiviskaves

skiviskaves

I pulled this gem home yesterday. Found in a garage on the south side of <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com[​IMG]</st1:City>Chicago </ST1:pwhere it has been in hibernation for a little over 20 years.
    1940 <st1:City w:st="on"><ST1:pPlymouth</ST1:p</st1:City>, all original (including paint and tires I believe), very complete. There is a bit of rot (lower body and floors) and some rust bubbles throughout, however the car is overall pretty solid.
    Plans: I think at first I will be going for what I consider to be a mock up driver. I would like to get all of the mechanics done and drive it for a while before doing a complete tear down. I have a 1955 <st1:City w:st="on"><ST1:pPlymouth</ST1:p</st1:City> 260 Poly V8 that I pulled out of a barn a few weeks ago (before I even found this car) that I would like to drop in. The motor probably needs a full rebuild however I haven’t torn into it yet…I’m hoping for the best. Probably a later model 5 speed and rear end. I would like to slam the car but maintain the original suspension…drop spindles in front and maybe cut the springs, drop blocks in back. Probably go to disc brakes in front. Patch up the floors and stiffen up the soft spots, but otherwise leave the body original including paint. The interior is not pretty, but complete, and I would like to refurbish it in the original style. Black stock steel wheels with big and little black walls.
    I travel a lot for work so I know this project is going to take a while, but I will keep you posted and start a build thread at some point. I know I’ll need help from you guys along the way, so thanks in advance. Now what do you say we hot rod this classic? :D

more photos: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/album.php?albumid=21537

Attached Files:

2. Wow, thats amazing !! Drive it as is for now!

3. skiviskaves

skiviskaves

How did those pink smiley faces get in my post???

4. Slonaker

Slonaker

Did you type it up in Microsoft word or something, then paste it in? That would explain it. If so, try typing it up in notepad instead before pasting it in.

Slonaker

5. Coupe Crazy

Coupe Crazy
    from LI, NY

Nice score, you're a lucky man!

6. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

huh.....you put em there. Pink is good in the right places.

7. skiviskaves

skiviskaves

I did cut and paste my post from MS Word...that must have been it, however I don't understand how. But nevermind that, how bout my new baby?

8. farmer12

farmer12

Wow, great find! Looks like you're going to turn this into something really cool. Good luck and keep us posted.

9. hkestes

hkestes

10. sololobo

sololobo

Score City!! These are really great looking autos. Deco trim galore and shapley lines. Love the tudor and four door in this year a lot. Congrats man. ~Sololobo~

11. Really sweet! It's nice starting with a fresh canvas...

12. chickenshift

chickenshift

That poly-block would go great in that!!!! They are a neat little motor.

13. Cause maybe your a lil light on your feet? Hahaha! Nice score man!:D

14. lawman

lawman

Nice !!!!! Tom (Tired Old Man)

15. Bill - Love it! Go for broke! I happen to know that a 55 Poly can be adapted to a 5 speed out of a Dakota (those trannies can be found for cheap!!) and neatly mated to an 8 3/4 rear under your baby. I can't wait to see her evolve!!

16. hasty

hasty

Congratulations

17. OldSchoolSS

OldSchoolSS
    from WI

I'm glad you got a relatively clean car. After looking it over tonight I don't think it would take a ton of work to get it on the road next year. Like I said if you ever need to borrow some tools let me know. Once snow flies and I can't work on projects outside I should have some time to help you out with it.

18. that is awesome! All it needs is lowered a little, nothing else.

19. OldSchoolSS

OldSchoolSS
    from WI

20. Nice score, the last time I did any cutting and pasting was in the late 50's!

21. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

those are really cool cars. i would drive that as is and be happy as a clam. nice score man.

22. skiviskaves

skiviskaves

Thanks everyone! I am really excited to tear into it. Last night my buddy Scott (OldSchoolSS) came over and helped me shove her in the garage and I got to really look the car over for the first time, 20 years of dust washed off and under good light. Upon closer inspection there appears to have been 1 repaint on the car, however it was black originally. I even found an 8-track player behind the locked glove box door, so the car does have some modern upgrades...

23. rat seeker

rat seeker

24. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Excellent find. Almost 100% all of those I come across are 4drs so a 2dr is a welcome change. I would definitely keep it all Mopar and a stick shift would be frosting on the cake. Maybe check on transplanting the whole drivetrain out of a Dakota.

Frank

25. 73super

73super

I think this is, for me, the best part of the build. When you first pull it into your shop.. stand back and the images start poppin' into your head. I LOVE the beginning of a project.. althought the completions are definitely fun too. Kind of feel sorry for those that never get to experience this ...

Enjoy your awesome project. Put together come good build shots as you go along and share them please.

thx.! and good luck!

26. 42 chevy

42 chevy

Nice car! I love that year. I would keep it all Mopar also.

27. Alienbaby17

Alienbaby17

Sweet!
    A good friend has a '41 PLymouth sedan so I've put in some time on one. It seemed like over the last summer around here people couldn't hardly give away old MoPar 2 door coupes and sedans. I was shocked at how many I saw and would have scooped up if I had somewhere to keep one.

Should be lots of fun.

From my past experiences with these early MoPars I will make a couple of recommedations to you if you aren't already aware of them.

1) Roberts Motor Parts out on the east coast has lots of good stuff it can be tough to find other places. It's mostly stock replacement stuff.

2) Ply-do. I never bought anything from them. I thought their customer service was terrible and their prces were worse (this has been a few years now so maybe things have improved). They make some upgrade type kits for these cars and might have something to fit your needs.

3) AAJ Brakes. If you want disc brakes up front I found these guys on the web when I had my '50 Dodge. At that time it was one of the only places to get a kit for early MoPars.

4) That p15-d24 site is really good. I second the idea to register there.

5) George Asche (sp?) If this guy is still around he is an expert on all things early MoPar and can give you lots of good advice for various upgrades to the basically stock components.

On my friend's sedan I think we cut 1.5 coils off the front. It made a really significant drop- probably in the 3-4" range. I remember we were both surprised.

Have fun with it. Keep the updates coming.

Jay

28. skiviskaves

skiviskaves

Super73 - I'm right there with ya buddy. My imagination is running wild! I'm hoping to get some guys on the photoshop thread to show me what's in my head.

Jay - Thanks for all the good resources. About your buddy's Plymouth, you said that you guys cut 1.5 coils off the front...what other modifications were necessary when doing the basic coil cut? Did you replace the shocks and what did you use? How does he like the ride...how much comfort was sacrificed?

Thanks!
    Bill

29. hkestes

hkestes

Here are some more resources especially if you were to decide to stay with the flatty.

Try these for speed parts for the flathead

Edgy Speed Shop http://www.edgyspeedshop.com/index2.html - Finned Aluminum Head, Dual Carb Intake, Finned Lifter Covers, Reground Cams

Langdon's Stovebolts http://www.stoveboltengineco.com/ - Dual Carb Intake, Finned Lifter Covers, Cast Iron Headers

Try these for stock parts

Andy Bernbaum http://www.oldmoparts.com/Default.htm

Roberts Motor Parts http://www.robertsmotorparts.com/index.html

Vintage Power Wagons http://www.vintagepowerwagons.com/p...tured-parts.htm

You might also want to look for an Over Drive transmission from a 53 or later Plymouth, a couple years earlier in the Dodges. Makes a big difference cruising on the highway. Other than that you could look at a T5 5 speed from and S10.

George Asche - Rebuilt O/D - George does not use internet
    1693 Fertigs Road
    Venus, PA 16364
    814-354-2621

Paul Curtis - T5 Adapter http://1935plymouth.com/