Register now to get rid of these ads!

Travel Tool Kit

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rockable, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Deuces

Deuces

Took a picture of this at the car show Sunday..
    1925 Ford model T roadside tool kit..

Attached Files:

2. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

works great on exhaust

3. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

Amex & AAA card.

4. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

These sometimes are not fast enough. I hate to wait. If I can fix it in a few minutes, I'd rather do that than have anyone else messing with my ride.....but that's just me.

5. Martin Thompson

Martin Thompson

This is my list when I go out for traveling...
    Air Compressor
    Cordless Impact Wrench
    A Compact Jump Pack
    Mobile GPS
    Ratchets and sockets, both big and small.
    A slotted screwdriver and Phillips screwdriver.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  6. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I carry a small tool box with sockets , wrenches , pliers , etc. It never stops amazing me how , when you are traveling with someone , who you always travel with , his car needs attention . “ Let me borrow your ratchet , and sockets . I need to get a set .” Ok I loan him my tools , 2 weeks later , his car breaks again . Let me borrow your wrenches , I need to get some . Some how he never remembers to return them after the repair and I have to go find them , usually with 3 Snap On sockets replaced with China Freight . That is what pisses me off , finally I ask him to take a ride with me one day . Our first stop was Lowes to purchase him a tool set . I told him I’ll keep them with me , that way you’ll always have tools and will not loose them .

7. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

If I travelled with someone that replaced my Snap-on stuff with junk shit from China I would find a guy with more class to travel with!!:(:mad::D

8. Terrible80

Terrible80

I've got a tool bag in every vehicle with the usual stuff- end wrenches, sockets, screwdrivers, Allen's/ torks on the bike, throw in spare parts and a multimeter if I'm running any distance. Use it on other people's problems most often.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Basics in my Shoebox...but the daily Suburban gets the works when we go outta town...wrenches, jack, fluids, duct tape, pliers, prybar, axe, knife...etc. You never know...especially when one travels the backroads of Upper Michigan!

10. RodStRace

RodStRace

Rockable, I'd add (for bigger cars that have trunk space, like your beautiful Plymouth)
    • a gallon of straight antifreeze
    • a gallon of good water (for coolant, drinking, washing, cooling hot parts) and an empty container if really needed (don't empty the others on the side of the road)
    • a gallon jug of oil
    • a jug of brake fluid for your clutch and brakes
    • a HF head mounted flashlight and spare batteries
    • spare fuses, DVOM, spool of wire, electrical tape
    • someone mentioned a pair of coveralls, I'd add a sheet of cardboard for the gravel and sliding under easier and if you normally use work gloves at home, toss a pair in here too
    • jumper cables (cheap) or a jumper box (expensive)
    • spare belt(s)
    • Zip ties and bailing wire
    • The paper towel roll and hand cleaner mentioned
    • Some baggies and a Sharpie
    • a plastic tray and/or one of those magnetic parts holders
    • a couple short sections of 2X4 for blocking wheels, spreading the jack load, banging stuff
    • I've got a setup similar to this that has been useful when going racing. It doesn't have every bolt, but it does have a good assortment to get you rolling again. http://www.copperstate.com/shop/2502/portable-fastener-kits This would be for longer, less traveled road trips when you have room in the trunk and will not expect nearby road service. A bolt falling out is just as likely to stop you as some other things.

11. Have a cell phone now...thanks to work :rolleyes:, but still no AAA. Spare parts in some cars and old tools and boxes in all.

Only non old box, g/f bought if for me in the early 90's. Note the gas can and other items in the crate (scissor jack in all cars too).
    rear mat-1.jpg

bed compartment-1.jpg

12. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Mostly, back in time, it was the standard things that fit into the separate areas for the 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery, scissors jack, lug nut remover, a pair of pliers, wire and a gallon of reclaimed oil for the Flathead that did not leak, smoke, or make funny noises.
    upload_2019-8-28_4-17-57.png

In the 58 Impala, the following were included in the trunk, mini tool box. That Impala did not need any repairs on the road for the whole time I owned it. The car must have been made on a Wednesday. But, the emergency tool kit was in the huge trunk.
    upload_2019-8-28_4-3-48.png
    Crescent wrench
    Screwdriver
    Vise grips
    Socket set
    Tow strap
    Wire
    Oil
    upload_2019-8-28_4-21-15.png
    The 1965 Chevy El Camino was a 125k mile daily driver that also needed one battery and one water pump over the 11 years of ownership. Minimal for those days and total miles driven all over the Westcoast of the USA and Baja. There was not much room for big, tool box storage, anyway, just the same small tool box sitting behind the seats, next to the stereo speaker boxes.

When we used the 65 El Camino for our desert motorcycle racing days, a large tool box with different spare parts was secured into the rear bed area ready for anything. It fit in front, between the wheels of the two bikes.

upload_2019-8-28_4-25-9.png
    When we built up the 2nd 40 Ford Sedan Delivery with the 327, the same small "tool kit" moved over into its secured place, too.

Jnaki

In these past 15 years, we have owned cars that had to be reliable and safe for our granddaughter’s limousine services. So, the tool box was getting smaller with the reliable, new cars and SUVs that came into play. And, a new tool was added: a reliable AAA card to answer all service emergencies, day or night.

But, we added in several other emergency tools/necessities: a shiny, space blanket for every person, water bottles, Windex glass wipe package, extra small towels, and a daily supply of snacks. These were to go along with the ever present small roll of wire, a needle nose- vise grip wrench, and a small screwdriver.

Have we used any of them? The water bottles, snacks and of course, one time, the AAA card for a tow when our granddaughter was not in our car. We realized that the reliability of these new cars makes the traveling tool kit, minimal or non-existent.

13. j3harleys

j3harleys

I have helped 3 guy change valve a spring along the side of the road using 1/4" rope, I always carry it. I also have fuel a pump exactly like the one on my car. So many times I have seen someones pump quit and you cant get the same pump, different mounting and fittings. It isn't fun laying in the dirt on a hot or rainy day or night trying to make something work. And any other part that might be hard to find on while traveling.Years ago we lost a starter on our 56 Nomad on the way to Hot August Nights, try to find starter for a 265 in stock at a parts store. Luckily it was a 4 speed.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
    Ron Funkhouser and pprather like this.
  14. In my younger days it was cash and a .45.

15. j3harleys

j3harleys

A piece of rope and a valve spring compressor bar. you can get one at summit or anywhere or just make one. you should be able to find it on you tube they have about every thing on there. It really is pretty easy.

16. Recently used a six foot USB charging cable to hold the valve while we changed the spring. A tap on retainer with a socket released the keepers. On SBC we put the rocker nut on the stud and used two open end wrenched in an upside down V pattern to compress the spring to reinstall the keepers. This requires three hands. One on each wrench and one place the keepers.

Was surprisingly easier than it sounds, but I hope to never do it again. Also, I now carry an extra valve spring.

Phil

j3harleys likes this.
  17. Jake Sippl

Jake Sippl
    from Detroit MI

LOL.. this guy gets it.

bonneville bones likes this.
  18. Jake Sippl

Jake Sippl
    from Detroit MI

I really like the idea of using the old ammo boxes. I'm not quite sure why it hasn't dawned on me yet to use one. I just normally grab the bag that I have my offroad recovery straps in for my rock crawler and throw some wrenches, screwdrivers, and a few key sockets in that and throw it in the back of my coupe. What I think I'm going to do though, is pick up an old ammo box from the local surplus store and fill it up with the tools. Thanks for the link Ryan

19. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

BAEEC143-F4B7-46B2-BF62-B2336380D9AF.jpeg The kids got me this set for Christmas a few years ago, and it has saved my butts several times! I won’t leave the the house with out it! I have strived to keep it 100% complete, I have even added some tools. The Lowe’s tools aren’t Snap-on quality, but have served me very good. I also have a box of other tools, including jumper cables, multimeters, test light, wire, wire ties, tie down straps, large tools, pipe wrench, etc. I carry in the motorhome. I also have a set of jumper cables in every vehicle under the front seat and a pair of pliers.

20. I have a plastic tool box, with a complete set of 1/4 and 3/8ths drive sockets, combination wrenches, universal screwdriver, hammer, vise grips, pliers, wire, voltmeter, and clamps. In addition to oil and transmission fluid, I also carry a carpet, some rags, a few bolts, and a gallon, or more, of water with me.
    This has saved my ass countless times, both on the highway, and on the water. I don't leave home without it.
    Back in the mid sixties, I got caught in the middle of a rock slide, at night, as it was happening, (talk about bring a diaper day), and I knew that to survive, I was going to have to drive over the rocks to get out of the slide zone.
    I was in the central mountains of BC, in the middle of nowhere with no traffic, no phone, and the nearest wrecker was over 45 miles away. It was also winter and I had my girlfriend with me, so survival was an issue as well.
    I stuffed the hole in the pan by pounding in a piece of rag, and added water to the oil to get enough lubrication to limp to the next town.
    There was no better way to fix the hole in the pan, so I drained the oil and water, added fresh oil, and drove the remaining 200 miles home. I pulled the pan, got my uncle to weld it, and pulled the caps to see if there was any damage to the bearings. I was amazed to find that the motor was still good, and after repairing the pan, I drove the car for another three years before selling it.
    Without the box full of tools, I would have been dead in the water.
    Bob

Boneyard51 likes this.
  21. stude54ht

stude54ht
    from Spokane WA

22. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

Anybody mention TP yet? Many a battle has been won....and lost, due to the quick availability of it.:eek:

Shutter Speed and Boneyard51 like this.
  23. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Funny you should mention that, back in the day when I was raised on the ranch, every truck had a roll of toilet paper in it! I still try to keep one in my DD.

Bones

24. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

You should have carried a 22lr and use it for spare fuse, just kidding