Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Transmisssions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Nov 11, 2017.

1. Budget36

Budget36

Dang, I recall the days a good M22 with a Hurst would set you back 200-225, mercy...I didn't seem to have the cash either;)

2. pigfluxer

pigfluxer

As long as it has three pedals,I'm good with it.

3. Okay, I get your point.
    I'd probably state it a different way.
    How about "If you can't drive a stick car, by all means race an automatic."
    Must be lots of Donderos reincarnated around lately.

4. Answering HRP's original post - 4 speed are the better choice. They are traditional! Plus fun, and Toploaders are great trannys. Nothing like bangin' a four gear with a Hurst.

5. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Roger that!
    When I put the Muncie in my Nova in the 80's I nearly couldn't give the 3 speed away, I did finally give it to a friend of mine but I almost had to deliver it to get rid of it.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  6. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  7. Depends on the combination.
    4 or 5 in the 1/4.
    5 in the 1/8th, you'd be a busy fella.
    SE Gassers tend to use Hightower or Jerico 4 speeds with small cube engines in the 1/8.

HOTRODPRIMER and jcmarz like this.
  8. Quain Stott rowing the 4 gears in the 1/8 th. HRP

9. BTW,I am not building this truck to compete with the Southeast Gassers. HRP

lothiandon1940, pitman and Mr48chev like this.
  10. wicarnut

wicarnut

Good Memories !, 4000+ RPM, dump clutch, power shift through the gears, street racing, It was FUN ! Nothing but Fun with my Chevy's in the 60's. Tend to forget the other side of the "FUN" constantly breaking something, tickets, fines, suspended drivers license, high insurance rates, driving without insurance, could not afford it, more than my house payment. I only own 1 shifter car, my OT Camaro ragtop (5 speed, coming up on 29 years now), all my hobby cars, cars/SUV are automatic transmission and doubt if I would have a shifter Hot Rod anymore. The auto trannies are so good now, always faster today IMO AND rowing the gears takes some talent/coordination, remember back in the day, heard/saw many missed shifts, won more than one $$ street race when opponent missed a gear.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
    robracer1 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I love rowing the gears on a 4 speed or a 5 speed and the five speed lets you have gears that give great bottom end pull and still can highway on the highway.
    Then my left knee reminds me that it was 49 years ago that it was really great at working the clutch in the the new 69 Cutlass S with the Muncie M21 and 3.4 gears and at 70 plus working a clutch gets a bit old if you aren't just out to grab gears.
    I was planning on a 5 speed in the 48 but that knee reminds me that I have both a decent turbo 350 and Turbo 400 out here in the shed plus a nice 9 inch rear with 3.0 gears that would let that 292 six coast at 70+ on the long roads.

HOTRODPRIMER and wicarnut like this.
  12. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

The saying, "4 on the floor" has a nice ring to it. "5 on the floor" doesn't sound right.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  13. I'm pretty sure I could still drive a 4 speed, but jacking it up and getting up and down off the creeper is getting a little rough .

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  14. Nice job. That boy could drive about anything...and using the clutch too.
    In that video I posted earlier, those guys are just pulling real hard on the lever ,without the clutch action.
    Those Jericos are technically not clutchless. Not allowed in Stock Eliminator.

15. If I had any common sense I would use a automatic,I have a bad leg due to a pretty serious accident on a Harley but I can assure you the truck wont have one of those leg shaker clutches.:D HRP

16. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have 6-on-the-floor.

17. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

I have 10 on the floor!

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. Quain was a professional funny car pilot before organizing the Southeast gassers. HRP

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  19. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I used that line in the singles bars.

One interesting feature I noticed when I put in a T5: it has a reverse synchro. I don't know why it comes in handy, but it does.

20. pitman

pitman

Hmmm, driving a doodlebug w/2 T5's in series ?

HOTRODPRIMER and jcmarz like this.
  21. Gman0046

Gman0046

My 63 Belair has a Tremec 5 speed which is great for highway cruising, at 75 and after shifting to fifth gear the RPM's drop to 1900. First gear is still low enough to light up the tires. Unless you have a modified Tremec they are not for speed shifting as there are no shifter stops. My 63 Impala has a Muncie M21 which is a better choice for the track.

Gary

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  22. I prefer a stick. I have many trucks with the SM 420 granny low four speeds. That extra slow low and reverse are nice. especially when backing up a trailer. I was using a 66 3/4 that had a 327 and factory turbo 400. and the seals in the clutch drums started leaking and it was slipping. I fixed it by converting to a stick granny 4 speed. Ive got a 71 big block with a 454 turbo 400. and it the auto every gives any problem it will get converted to a stick trans. I can fix my own automatic transmissions but I simply think a stick is better for my needs. one of my two 66 GMC,s is a 250 six with a powerglide. I never use it to do any hard chores so it will remain a powerglide. and I hardly ever use the clutch when shifting. that clutch is for starting and stopping. I float shift the gears.

23. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You can get a shifter with adjustable stops, to make up for that deficit.

24. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Driving a car with a stick is just plain fun, if you don't get that all the threads on the internet will not help you understand it. Automatics are faster on the strip, hands down. But the other 99% of the time, give me a third pedal and a star to steer her by.

25. Not true.
    Do Pro Stocks use an automatic?
    Did Charlie Westcott when he dominated the SS /A Hemi Shootout at Indy?

26. Well, almost. He actually raced Pro Mod, IHRA.
    He did say the Willys was harder to drive.

27. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I should have qualified that remark by saying they are faster for me on the strip. :cool:

28. Excuse me,funny car or pro mod,they are both strange looking cars. HRP

29. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

You haven't lived until you've changed a steel case 4 speed while laying on your back on the frozen ground on Thanksgiving day!

30. That they are !