Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Transmission side shift

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by flyspray, Jan 14, 2020 at 6:53 PM.

1. flyspray

flyspray

On a Borg Warner T96 3 speed with a side shift can I use a 4 speed after
    market floor shift by using only part of it?

2. It's do able. Just locate and fix into position reverse arm of shifter so you can't get shifter into reverse position (as a four speed).

Hnstray likes this.
  3. flyspray

flyspray

I don't quite understand. Fix in position? Does that mean to disable it so it won't move?

4. Not so much disable it, but it is. It's so the plunger will only be able to work 1 2 lever and 3 4 lever and won't be able to get over into reverse position (of 4 speed pattern) when going into 1st. position of four speed but is now what would become your reverse as a normal 3 speed floor shifter.
    upload_2020-1-14_17-44-34.jpeg
    upload_2020-1-14_17-44-57.jpeg

dana barlow likes this.
    Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. flyspray

flyspray

Thank you. I think I have it now>

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I did it on mine with my Competition Plus that was on the M21 Muncie I had in the truck for years. At least until I came up with a Hurst 3 speed shifter that I traded a buddy out of.
    I left the reverse rod off and think I wired the reverse lever up so the shifter wouldn't pop over there making it work like a regular 3 speed floor shift.

Johnny Gee likes this.
  7. flyspray

flyspray

I found and bought a Mr. Gasket V gate inline shifter. I suppose I can use it on 3 speed just like other ones. If not maybe I could trade it for something else.

8. flyspray

flyspray

I listed it for sale in classified section.

9. flyspray

flyspray