Register now to get rid of these ads!

Transmission question (TH350)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bbdiamond, Jul 29, 2010.

1. bbdiamond

bbdiamond
    from ROY, Utah

I have a th350 in my 58 chevy. It has started to seem like it needs fluid. I will put it in gear and it takes a second to kick in. So i added a quart. Well it helped a little but still seem to be slipping. so i checked my level and it seem to be good. Few days later started slipping bad so i added another quart with out checking. That didnt help. Checked level and it was way over full. So drained the damn thing and filled it proper level. BUT still slips, give it gas and it revs high and barley goes but if you ease into it it will go but not that great. SO WHAT IS WRONG WITH THE DAMN THING? Torque converter bad? Trans going out? Any help in this matter would be appreciated.

2. Model A John

Model A John
    from wichita ks

Drop the pan and look for shiny bits of metal. I once had a converter go bad and there were small chunks of metal in the pan. You could try swapping converters and see if that helps. Otherwise, it's rebuild time.

3. That don't sound too good my friend. Sounds like time to either rebuild as john just said or time for a swap.

4. brad chevy

brad chevy

Sounds like the pump has shot its wad,cheaper to get another tranny than to have rebuilt.

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. its just time for a rebuild.
    no biggie.

6. bbdiamond

bbdiamond
    from ROY, Utah

Ya i figured it was time for a rebuild or new trans but was hoping i was wrong. i know what ill be doing over the next few days. Thanks for the advice.

7. The problem you're describing might very well be a T/C issue. It sounds like the sprag in the stator may have failed. When you do get up a little speed it can feel like there's nothing wrong. Here's a test you might try before you tear too deeply into it.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5816077_tell-torque-converter-going-bad.html

With the converter removed there's another test you can do. The first set of splines you see as look down into the converter are for the stator, which is also equipped a one-way roller clutch, or sprag. The sprag only allows rotation in one direction, like the drive gear on a starter motor.

http://www.dolphintransmissions.com/Images2/TorqueConverter.gif

If you've got a good pair of external snap ring pliers you may be able to feed them down into the converter, squeeze them and engage the splines of the stator. Now keep a good grip on the pliers and give it a fairly quick 1/4 or 1/2 a turn in one direction and then back the other way. Do this several times and if the sprag is working you should feel it turn more easily in one direction than the other. If the sprag has failed it will turn equally easy in both directions.

This isn't a terribly scientific method, but it might help you identify your problem. Or at least help you test a used converter if you go that route.