Register now to get rid of these ads!

transmission pros and cons:ford 3 speed and chevy truck 3 speed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tr12, May 14, 2008.

1. tr12

tr12

i am considering three speeds for my hot rod and want to know their pros and cons.my questions:
    1. how much torque wil they handle approximately?​
    2. do they have "acceptable"gear raitios?i think im rumming either a chevy 14 bolt fleet axle or a banjo rear.(big difference,huh?)​
    3. how common are the bellhousings to accept a small block truck motor?(350)​
    4. are they generally good transmissions?​
    i am also considering running a toploader ford 3 speed too,(those same questions apply).if i do run a 3 speed flathead ford trans ,i wont run a 14 bolt either.

oh yeah i cant forget about the chevy passenger car 3 speeds either.

BASICALLY,what im trying to ask , is whats the best 3 speed out of the above three?

as always,your help is greatly appreciated .

Troy​

2. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

None have a real good ratio spread. But the best/easist would be a Saganaw full syncro 3 speed from 65 up Chevy. Were behind all sorts of V-8s so should be strong enough . Just remember you CAN break anything!! Trade off that 14 bolt for 8-9 inch Ford or 10-12 bolt GM. To frigin big. Ford Ranger 8.8 is a reasonably narrow rear and a lot had posi.

3. Allan Songer

Allan Songer

I have been enamoured of the Borg Warner T-85 for a long, LONG time. It's probably the most "stout" of all the passenger car 3-speeds--they were, after all used in the Mopar 413 factory race cars until they went to the 4-speeds and also used in the supercharged Studebaker Golden Hawks back in the 50's. The the T-10 was based on this tranny.

You can still find T-85s for a couple of hundred bucks if you hunt for them. Most have OVERDRIVE as well, which is great for running insane gears on a street car. I will run a 4.27 locker in my current project with the OD T-85 which means I will actually be able to drive the damn thing on the freeway! One of the best places to look for a T-85 is in 60's vintage Studebaker pickup trucks--every V8 Stude truck got a T-85 starting some time in the late 50's. The truck trannys have CRAZY first gear ratios and no synchros in first as well--GREAT fun for racing from crosswalk to crosswalk . . .

You'll have to track down the Hurst shifter made for the T-85 OD if you want to go that route--they turn up on ebay on a fairly regular basis.

4. brewsir

brewsir

Skip the 3 speed and throw a T5 in there...more gears is better right?

5. Ole don

Ole don

Do like brewsir said. Go for a five speed. A little more money, much better ratios, more fun to drive, stronger than nearly any three speed available, and you get an overdrive with no wires governors and cables to fail, and fuses to blow.

6. ibcalaveras

ibcalaveras

the top loader ford 3 speed is good for about 150 lbs of torque. It has no syncros on 1 st and reverse. The T5 is much better

7. Drive Em

Drive Em

I think he is talking about the late model Top loader 3 speed that came in Mustangs and Fords in the 60's early 70's. They are great tranny's with a good 1st gear ratio, and decent spreads. They will handle alot of torque. I have one in my '27 track T and it shifts smooth.