Register now to get rid of these ads!

Transmission not shifting easily

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scott 351 wins, Jul 19, 2011.

1. scott 351 wins

scott 351 wins

I have a 88 thunder bird (I know it's not a traditional hot rod) that i have had for 10 yrs now. I'm the 2nd owner of it. It's been in storage for the last 4 1/2 years now, i occasionally go out and start it up to keep the fluids circulated in the engine. i took it around the block and the trans (AOD) does not seem to want to shift easily.
    I assume i will have to flush the trans as i believe it is stuck from sitting idle for the last year, what do i use or do to get it to shift properly in all gears?

2. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

Maybe you need to just drive it for a while. Trans fluid is pretty high detergent and is self cleaning. I think I would get it really warmed up and do some driving. If your just planning on flushing the current fluid out and replacing it, then park the car again for another year, I think your wasting your time & money.

If you get it working with the current fluid then have it flushed, you might be OK, but I suspect if you plan to continue parking for a year at a time, your looking at a trans rebuild at some point in time. Gene