Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical transmission mess

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by voodookustoms, Nov 21, 2014.

1. Hey guys,
    So I'm pretty sure I know what I did wrong. I was rushing the process and wasn't thinking clearly. After replacing the transmission pan I put about 3 quarts of fluid in my Ford-O-Matic before starting the engine. Didn't think it would harm anything since I was only going to let the engine idle in park for a few minutes. When I turned it off, about a quart spewed from the dipstick tube all over the engine and ground.
    Is that known to happen if there is some fluid, but not enough in the tranny? Any other reasons that might have happened? It definitely was not overfilled.
    Car is a 1954 ford with a 239.

2. How much did the tranny already have in it?

Did you run it through the gears to circulate the new fluid? Sounds like it thinks that it is overfull.

3. That tranny only had what was in the torque converter, plus the 3 quarts that I put in.
    No I didn't cycle it through the gears. Just started it, left it in park and turned it off.

4. You managed to pump the converter out into the pan is all, fire it up and cycle it, then check the oil and see where you are.

Don't sweat it, not likely that you hurt a thing.

voodookustoms likes this.

5. I didn't know that was possible. Thanks for the knowledge. Hopefully that is all that happened.