Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Transmission Help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Beau9292, Mar 22, 2016.

1. Beau9292

Beau9292

Hi everyone,

I'm building a 49 Chevy Styleline Deluxe and I'm to the point where I am looking to buy a transmission for it. I have a rebuilt 283 that will be making 250~ hp and the body is off of the frame right now. I am debating between a T5 and T56 because I want a manual and I will be driving this car a lot (a lot of highway driving). Does anyone have any advice for either transmission? Also, if anyone has done a T5 or T56 swap into a 49-54 Chevy do you have any advice or recommendations when installing?

Thanks!

2. The T5 will be a lot cheaper and is all you really need with your mild motor. The T56 main claim to fame is the second OD in 6th and unless you run pretty low gears in the rear axle (I'd recommend at least 3.50s, 3.7 or 3.9 would be better), 6th gear can end up being useless at anything below freeway speeds (I can't use 6th in my OT car until I hit at least 60 mph). Now, if you ever upgrade power, most versions of the T5 aren't as stout as the T56 so there's that. If you're planning on beating on it, a TKO will be a better choice over either of 'em....

3. flopalotofit

flopalotofit

Find a th350 with a shift kit , with that old steering your going to need both hands on the wheel ! Have fun !