Register now to get rid of these ads!

transmission help needed!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldskool55, Jul 14, 2005.

1. oldskool55

oldskool55
    from socal

i had my engine and trans out of my truck because something locked up. i had a shift kit in the trans and it made it so i had almost no reverse... probably my fault:rolleyes: . so i put the whole vavle body from my "old" c4 (that worked perfectly except for the stripped input shaft) in my "new" c4. so today i get everything back together and jack the back wheels off the ground so i can let it cycle through all the gears. so heres the problem in "park" the wheels still spin forward and go faster when you give it gas. it doesnt go into reverse until the shifter pointer is in "neutral". then it doesnt go into drive until its in "1" and the it shifts and everything like is in drive. incase youre not familiar with the pattern it is
    "P" "R" "N" "D" "2" "1"...... anybody have any idea what could be wrong? or where to start lookin? id appreciate it and so would my scalp:eek:

2. oldskool55

oldskool55
    from socal

3. Leave it jacked up and remove the lincage rod. Manualy put it in Park and turn the tires untill it locks. Then put the rod back on with the pointer on the P. If it won't lock in park manualy you missed the index point with the arm inside or you have a floor shift arm on a column shift valve body.
    The Wizzard

4. squirrel

squirrel

you know you can just pull the input shaft out of a C4 tranny.....

5. oldskool55

oldskool55
    from socal

it stripped both ends.... i thought that i fried it so i just bought another one before i pulled the old one.... it was cheap so i wasnt worried about it.

6. squirrel

squirrel

are you aware that the size and spline count on the input shaft changed with the redesign in 1970? maybe it had the small shaft in the big tranny?

7. oldskool55

oldskool55
    from socal

it has the input shaft it came with

8. squirrel

squirrel

just make sure you aren't mixing early and late parts...the early ones have the C4... casting numbers, the later ones have the D0.... casting numbers.

9. oldskool55

oldskool55
    from socal

both are the later updated c4s or i guess they call them c5s:confused: i dunno

10. potshot

potshot
    from MT

Oldskool,
    If you swapped valvebodies, it sounds like your manual valve is out of position. There is a groove on the end of it that has to line up with the "tit" on your case linkange. If you drop the pan, you'll see what I'm talking about.

11. oldskool55

oldskool55
    from socal

so i gotta pull the valve body again?.... great:rolleyes:

12. oldskool55

oldskool55
    from socal