Register now to get rid of these ads!

Transmission help needed...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pennylane, Oct 14, 2010.

1. pennylane

pennylane
    from 1904

So, Im pretty sure my tranny shit the bed today :( I have a 59 Fairlane, with the origional trans and engine. What would I be better off doing, rebuilding or replacing? It doesnt go in reverse, and since I owned it, never did. Now it is leaking from the rear and I think pretty shot, something is "clicking" when I accellerate. So its parked so I dont further the issue here.
    As Im sure is pretty obvious have no clue whats goin on in there, so once again I turn to y'all. Also can anyone recommend a good shop or transmission guy near me (San Diego)? Preferrably someone familiar with older cars.
    UGH.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2010
  2. hipkatgreaser

hipkatgreaser

sounds to me is the clicking is a u-joint or center support bearing in driveline, and the reverse problem is in linkage or manual valve problem in valvebody. all not a big problem to investigate before you shell out money at a shop.

3. wvenfield

wvenfield

I have to agree. I have no idea what is what in San Diego but you need to find someone that knows what they are looking at that you can trust.

Rebuilding or replacing (if those are your choices) is up to you.