Register now to get rid of these ads!

Transmission fluid and solvent

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dar73, May 23, 2010.

1. Dar73

Dar73

I need to protect bare metal and was told that transmission fluid and solvent applied with scotch brite works well. Is turpentine a suitable solvent? I don't want to paint or primer and I need something to protect it for what could be a month or a year.

2. FIL

FIL

If you can get something similar, there's a product here (Australia) called Lanotech, some of the local metal guys use it to protect freshly pressed steel... It's essentially a lubricant like WD40, with lanolin as one of the major ingredients... sprays on just like WD40 etc, nice n easy, but the lanolin stays when everything else evaporates, so it stays on there a lot longer...

3. 69fury

69fury

trans fluid itself itself isn't bad, dont use WD40 if it's something you want to ever paint.

Gibbs oil is awesome, PickleX is great (basically just a Phosphating compound, you can get the same thing cheaper else where), I just grab the PB Blaster for short term protection because it's always on hand.