Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Transmission Cooler How Big?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BJR, Mar 11, 2017.

1. BJR

BJR

For my 1949 Buick I need to mount a stand alone transmission cooler for my 472 Cadillac with a Turbo 400 transmission. I don't want to put one in the radiator as I think I will need all the cooling I can get for the engine. I also don't want to mount it in front of the radiator for the same reason. How big of a cooler do I need to keep the 400 trans cool in normal driving, and any ideas of where to mount it? I was looking at one of these;
    Hayden 1405 Ultra-Cool Transmission Oil Cooler, 3/4" x 10" x 15-7/8"
    Is this big enough? All comments welcome. Thanks Brian

2. How are you going to mount it? This style has no brackets or tabs like the black ones. Only made to zip tie thru rad or condenser.

3. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Back in the early 90's I built a 47 aerosedan (chevy) with a 350/400 combo. I mounted a 6x9" finned cooler on the passenger side frame rail and drove the car for 15 years, all over the country, without a problem.

olscrounger likes this.
  4. Ditto Fat47 above,..that's what I've done on all my rides.

olscrounger likes this.

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

usually best to mount where there is some airflow through cooler - do not need a monster cooler, unless plan on towing, etc - as stated above, try to find one with mounting tabs already attached

6. I like The stacked plate coolers better.
    The aluminum tube radiant type with dual pass work just about anyplace.

Having the cooler in the radiator helps get the Trans fluid warm - which is important too.

7. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

You can't over cool a trans so just fit the biggest one you can, I use the Soeedway 14" x 5", never let me down

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. The OP is in Wisconsin. I think you can over cool. Maybe not in the desert but.....

9. BJR

BJR

Hadn't thought about how I would mount the Hayden one I posted, thanks. The car will not be driven in the winter so above 30 degrees. I just had no idea how much cooling a 400 trans needed.

10. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Here is my trans cooler

Attached Files:

11. A Stock converter in a grocery getter needs the least amount of cooling. A Factory stock setup is more than adequate.

Towing or dump truck type heavy loads requires more cooling. Performance High stall converters require the most cooling.

12. ...I'd think a hayden 4 pass one would do the job, here's a sketch of how I mount em on the framerail,..make 4 straps and sandwich the end tubes with a 1/4" bolt, bolt to frame, run hard lines from trans and about 4-6" rubber between those and cooler for flex.
    trans cooler.jpg

13. morac41

morac41

Hi .....I have the same engine trans setup in my 49 Caddy ... have mounted the trans cooler inside chassis rail X member ..havent had any problems.......