Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Transmission advice, 200 4r

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Thommyknocker, Aug 1, 2014.

1. I currently have a TH 200 4r transmission (code A-A) behind a Pontiac 350 in my '50 Chevy.

I had a local transmission guy go through it early this spring. Unfortunately it appears that he went the way of the DohDoh :( and isn't in business any more
    I did watch him take it apart and put some of it back together. It does have a shift kit in it and I saw a pile of new parts for it.

Now that I've got the throttle valve cable sorted out to where it shifts nice, I've tried giving it the beans a few times:cool:

The problem I see is the 2nd gear shift is soft and delayed.
    If I manually shift it, and after 2nd is engaged, I can stomp it and it's fine.
    If I'm on the gas and let it shift itself into 2nd, it feels like I'm overpowering second gear for a bit, but it eventually grabs.

From my understanding, the second gear band is only used during the transition between gears.
    The larger servo cover on the passengers side appears to be the original one

Would a super servo help me, even a little bit?

http://www.transdepot.net/Super-Servo-for-2004R_p_46.html
    Thanks
    Thommy

2. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

The super servo would be a big help but I think you will want to get a pressure gauge on it too make sure it is correct.

3. choppedtudor

choppedtudor

yep...check your line pressure in every gear...those TV cables are ALOT more critical than most believe...and the spring in the valve can become 'squished' or weak over time causing sluggish shifts. Do a google search for "Short Spring 200R4"

4. I'll round up a gauge and do the pressure test first.