Register now to get rid of these ads!

transmission adapters

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by bbendtsen, Feb 27, 2005.

1. bbendtsen

bbendtsen
    from Wisconsin

I'm Bob Bendtsen, owner of Bendtsen's Transmission Adapters. I've been reading alot of old messages from people looking for certain adapters. Seems like the topic always turns to "expensive". The reason my adapters appear to be expensive is because most of the kits I sell (unlike any other kits) don't just adapt to one style of transmission. If you purchase for example, a Y-block to Chev kit, you are getting a kit that will allow you to bolt on ANY Chev V8 style transmission. NOT just one style of transmission, but ALL Chev transmissions. That means manual or automatic transmissions. The same is true of say for another example, a Buick straight 8 kit. With that kit you can bolt on ANY Chev V8 style transmission, automatic or manual. ALL parts in these kits are made in AMERICA. That translates into more expensive because China isn't making the parts! The only part not made in AMERICA is a Hitachi mini-high-torque starter (included with the kit) that is REBUILT in AMERICA. If you'll notice, Wilcaps kits DO NOT include the starter. Try comparing apples to apples and oranges to oranges. Another example, Mummerts C4 kit only fits C4. His AOD kit ONLY FITS AOD. What if you decide someday to go with 3 pedals??? My kit allows you to do that. How about resale vaue? I just saw one of my Y-block to AOD kits go for $605.00 on Ebay. Hell, I sell them for $695.00 brand new retail. Has anyone checked the price of MIC 6 tool plate lately? Thats what my aluminum kits are water jetted out of. Once you buy one of my kits, the replacement parts are easy. The starter and flywheels are stock items available anywhere. Most of the competition sells you custom made stuff that you have to rebuy from them. I engineer all the parts the way I would want them if I was the buyer because I use them in my own cars. I understand that money is an issue, but how often have you guys bought something that was less money and you wished you hadn't bought it? Usually, after making a purchase like that you end up spending more than if you had just spent the money up front to get the better quality stuff. Besides, who ever said building cars was cheap??? When I was a kid, cool cars could be bought for 15 bucks and driven home. Of course 75 bucks was a house payment, and a 426 Hemi option was only an additional 800 bucks added to the cost of a new 3300 dollar Dodge Charger. I can guarantee you'll never see those prices again. Think about it. Later.

2. rustyparts

rustyparts
    from Clinton,Mt

Wow!! Welcome!:)

3. Dude, shut the hell up. Who do you think you are flaming a guy like Bob here. These are the type of guys I want to see here, being a manufacturer myself. I want to see a lot more guys like this join the HAMB and be involved in real time product evaluation. I jumped on a particular IFS manufacturer for just the opposite when I got a threatening phone call instead of him posting his response here.

Bob,I am Steve from www.industrialchassisinc.com Been a fan of your product for some time now because your product plan matches my own. I bought a kit and don't want to do half of the engineering and still have to spend more money on modifications or parts just to make it work. I have sent a lot of people your way and hopefully they have bought some product from you.

Anyway welcome to the HAMB and don't mind the brain donors.

4. 46stude

46stude

ELpolacko, well put.

Welcome to the HAMB, Bob. Your products are really cool. I'm a member of the Y Block Forever site & have read up on your adapters for the Y's many times.

Do you make an adapter to run a General Motors TH type trans behind the Y blocks? If you do, let us know. There have been quite a few guys here asking if one exists, & none of us know of one!

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. lucky_1974

lucky_1974

Hey Bob,

Good to see you made it. If anyone has a chance you should head up to Ham Lake and see the shop that Bob has, to make these adaptors. They are really nice pieces. Also knows his way around a tranny:D ... Later.

Chris Dillon

6. k9racer

k9racer

Bob glad to see you on board. Thanks for mfg those odd ball adapters. A time honored trad here on the HAMB is to give discounts to HAMB members. Looking forward to doing busisness with you..... Bobby..

7. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Discount to hambers would be cool, and I can attest to the fact that Bob produces a nice quality product. Disregard stupid new guy comments.
    Welcome aboard!

8. plan9

plan9

excellant, welcome aboard.

you are right, id rather spend cash on a quality item than save a buck and get a one off.

dont be a stranger around here, iam sure many can benefit from just an ounce of your knowledge.

9. jonnycola

jonnycola

Seriously dude, shut the fuck up. You'd welcome him if he made tranny adapters for volkswagons...

Bob, I came across your webpage about a month ago while looking for an adapter for my 365 cadillac, and let me say I was presently suprised. Looks like a good setup... I'll be ordering one soon. So it will accept any chevrolet transmission and bellhousing before 1985?

You're going to be an asset to this place.

10. trey

trey

hey bob, and welcome to the hamb.

i had an experience with your company about a year and a half ago. maybe a year, i dont remember. anyway, i was running a little late getting home from work, and i called to see how late you guys were open, so i could place an order. it was about 5 minutes from closing time, but the lady told me she would stay until i called her back. it was about 45 minutes, and she was still there. not exactly the kind of service you see very often anymore.

i purchased an adapter to run a chevy th400 behind my 364 nailhead. very quality product, and bolted on with out a single problem. i thought the machine work was very well done. the spacer for my flexplate was so friggin cool looking, i didnt even want to put it on. but i did.

to me 600 is a lot of money, for anything. but it was worth the price. id rather pay the price for a quality product, then pay half for a piece of shit.

trey

RcJ@KkZ likes this.
  11. HotRodAV8

HotRodAV8
    from Seattle Wa

welcome. why no more olds or caddy kits?

12. Welcome to the HAMB Bob! Dont let that dork goozass bother you. We will kick him in the balls iffin you like?

I was telling a customer about your fine adaptors just yesterday!

13. T McG

T McG
    from Phoenix

The next time somebody complains about the price tell them to go try to make their own for what you charge. Anybody who thinks these are too much has never tried to make anything at all, let alone something that really works. Welcome, and keep up the good work!

14. suedesled

suedesled
    BANNED

Well guys as a manufacturer myself and also a supplier of a tranny adapter and soon to be bellhousings, I can agree that the cost of raw materials is up and making parts here in the states as I also refuse to do anything but; It is still possible to sell a quality product at a reasonable cost. It takes more effort to locate the vendors for the materials and some tough negotiating or just buying in huge volume but it can be done. Thanks to most manufacturers when you build an adapter for instance; A Chevy; it automatically fits the rest of them. I wish all those who have the drive to develop and manufacture their own products the best of luck. But unless I am mistaken the context was that if it cost less it is not as good which is not the case at all. Take Care, Marty (NW Speed Equipment Co. Inc.)

15. Do any of you guys sell an adapter to put a GM automatic on a Chrysler straight 8?

16. I just hope that by the time I can afford it you've worked out the starter issue to your liking, for my 223... Thanks, John James

17. PegLegStrick

PegLegStrick

Welcome to the H.A.M.B.