Register now to get rid of these ads!

transforming the back of a cab into the front of the bed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MoparMan4GZUZ, Aug 23, 2012.

1. It is alot of work for a very subtle change, but I just didn't like the way the back of the cab was curved and the front of the bed was straight on my 53 Dodge truck. Seeing as my truck is a custom, it just made sense to try this. I had a spare back of a cab, so I measured and cut it to the same size as the front of the bed, I added side plates to it tonight. Tomorrow I will weld in the bottom piece and bend a piece of 1 inch conduit to mimic the upper tube on the stock front piece. Here are some pics so you can get a visual of what I am trying to accomplish. In case you are wondering what I am going to do with the front piece..... it will be transformed into a new tailgate soon.

Attached Files:

2. "T'RANTULA"

"T'RANTULA"
    from Ohio

Thats interesting.

3. ramrod36

ramrod36
    from Upstate NY

I like the idea given the custom nature of your build. No doubt a lot of work but the results should be worth it. Keep the progress pictures coming. Thanks for sharing.

4. druids62

druids62

I really like details like this! Please keep us posted.

5. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

What a car nut will think of when idle .Keep it posted please.

6. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Custom is custom! Great job.

7. my workday includes usually about 4 hours of driving and it gives me ample time to dream up these crazy ideas....:D

8. Looking good. I have seen this done on other trucks and it makes a huge difference.

9. You mean I'm not the first one to think of this????? :D:D:D

10. SMOKINFLATHEAD

SMOKINFLATHEAD
    from SOCAL

I had the same thought, different process. I created a new panel and header from scratch.
    [​IMG]

I wanted to follow the cab in two planes, the curve of the bullnose and the flow at the back of the cab.
    [​IMG]

Finished product

[​IMG]

I'm not looking to highjack your thread, just wanted you to know you can ask me questions, and if your bed has wood planks I did a tech. on adjusting the carriage bolts.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=566269

Jay

11. that looks AWESOME.... now I gotta go home and see if I need to compound curve that top piece......

12. ok, I am gonna do the long route on this because I want you guys to see that something can be done with few specialty tools and some down home yankee ingenuity. I started by cutting out a couple of 2 inch strips from scrap flat sheet metal, I don't have a metal brake, but I do have a couple large pieces of angle iron that I vice gripped the pieces in and slowly hammered them over to make the 90 degree bends. I needed to put a curve in them and since I also do not own a shrinker/stretcher, I laid the bottom edge on a piece of railroad iron, hit it along the entire length a few times (checking the fit as I went) until I got the curve right.

<HR style="COLOR: #d1d1e1; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #d1d1e1" SIZE=1>now you can see the curve caused by stretching the bottom. I spot welded the 2 pieces to the bottom of the newly made front section and ground off the excess welds. I had purchased a length of 1 1/2 inch conduit for the top round cap, I put the ends on blocks and pushed down on the center area until I got the correct curve (I don't have a tubing bender either [​IMG] ). I measured and tacked it into place, re-measured and then re-measured again before welding it on permanantly. I ground off the excess welds, measured and cut the ends so they would mount flush with the bedsides. Then I blocked it up and checked it against the cab to make sure I hadn't buggered it up. It looks great!!

Attached Files:

13. last few pics are a rear view pic and then with the front mounted on the bed. Hope you guys like the thread. I just want to show what anyone can do without alot of special equipment.

Attached Files:

14. scarliner

scarliner
    from Macon Mo.

looks great and its is amazing what can be done with a little imagination and hard work.Its not easy being a little different, but definately worth the effort. I like it.

15. When will you ever stop?? This thing keeps getting better and better!! I can't wait to see what you'll be up to next

16. 6-71

6-71

I salvaged a 40's Studebaker bed to make a bed for my T-bucket.The front panel was bent from 60+years of use,so I turned it around and it fit the curve in my T body perfectly.I cut the 8' bed down to 28 inches,and was given a bed floor and front bed panel from a 2000 ranger.The ranger front panel made a nice tailgate.not exactly what I was looking for,but it looks good for now.;)

17. Molonewolf

Molonewolf

Nice job looking good.

18. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:DNow theres a good example of adapt and overcome.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

19. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Subtle is SOOOOO cool.

-Brad

20. People are going to wonder why you did all that work and did not straighten the bend in the box. I can just hear them now.

21. reece

reece
    from NC

Very nice execution. The subtle details make a car or truck stand out.