Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Trans removal on 46 ford- Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodyankee, Nov 27, 2016.

1. hotrodyankee

hotrodyankee

Fired up my 46 ford coupe today after making my 6-12 volt conversion and sbc install. The car has been running for a couple weeks now, hot-wired to run only. Been working on the 6-12 volt change over and finished today. I went to start it and heard a snap sound that came from the starter. Jacked the car up, to look, and the ring gear snapped in half in 2 places. I don't want to pull the engine back out. Can the stock trans be removed form the car from the inside? The front floor section is removable. Thanks for any help.

2. You'll have to pull the rear end to unhook it from the torque tube and to gain enough clearance to back out the trans and pull the input shaft out of the clutch assembly. Pulling the engine is how I would do it, I just feel it's easier than jacking the car sky high in the rear to drop the spring out of the cross member.

hotrodyankee likes this.
  3. Take the wheels off,, you don't have to jack it as high,,

hotrodyankee and 302GMC like this.