Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Trans info/help Q.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by hardtimesainit, Jul 25, 2020.

1. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

Will a double detent ‘39 top be a direct replacement for a ‘32 trans top ?
    Both have same forks... i. e.- 3” large and 2” small.

2. alchemy

alchemy

If it has 39-48 innards it will. Otherwise, no.

3. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

THANKS !
    So if i install a ‘42 lincoln zephyr trans gear set, in the ‘32 case, i can use the ‘39 top...great !

4. jimvette59

jimvette59

Need more information. A stock 32 Top does not have 3" forks unless it was changed and the trans it came from had later gears. The 32 trans case must be ground for the larger input gears.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021

5. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

Hey jim,
    Thanks for your input help !
    Hm, never thot about ‘32 having different/smaller forks. I just measured what is in the ‘32 case now !
    So your input changes things.
    Q: If 3” fork (gear set) already in this box, it must have been ground for clearance...as you state has to happen. Where do I look/check to see evidence of such alteration ?
    If this is true, hopefully new bearings/seals , etc, were installed. This would be GREAT news ! Maybe no full teardown necessary, as this sucker has already bitten me hard on arm !!

6. You will also need to make a bracket for the emergency brake. The '32 top had 2 threaded holes for the emergency brake. Easy job.

Next you need to shorten (hack saw and thread die) and bend the lever (they bend easy) if you want it to look original, I did that on my AVATAR but can't remember if it would have worked without modification. Probably would work.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
  7. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

Hey Charlie,
    So the 3" fork will fit into the '32 top ok ?
    Geeze I'm not sure which top I have now that you explain about top having two threaded holes ? Will study it again.
    This top only has one detent plug is that '32 or other year ?

I got this '32 trans from a buddy as is, to replace the trans in my '32 5 window....making noise. With what info you guys have given me, will have to look closer at that trans now also.

8. I can't answer the question about the 3" fork but I have attached a picture showing the bosses that have threaded holes to attach the emergency brake. These are '32 only. I think this is from a RHD car so don't get confused if some of the details don't match yours.

Charlie Stephens UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_807d.jpg

9. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

Hey Charlie,
    Thanks again for picture.
    Well, upon checking coupe, I found same top on its trans as you show ! However, its threaded holes NOT being used for E brake. Someone made a ebrake brace as you stated.
    I can[t get under the car anymore, but now know that the original '32 trans is still in there. So, when I heal, I might finish the '32 trans on the bench, as someone has installed later top and therefor later gear set.

WHY would someone 'restore' the car body, without rebuilding trans...if needed, and it is obviously needed by sounds its making
    So, with you guys help it is good news that trans on bench is better equipment than one in '32 !

10. solidaxle

solidaxle
    from Upstate,NY

Just going through a rebuild myself on a tranny. It's a very labor intense job to in a "32". The last thing you want to do is install everything and find out you have to take it all back out again. I would highly recommend Vanpelts book. It will give you something to do while you heal.

11. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

Thanks for your input and sage advice !
    Life is funny (odd) for some, me included.
    Ive always wanted a ‘32 coupe. Now have one.
    At 76 yrs, I find that my body says ...dont do it !
    But, my mind still says... I can do anything !
    Reality sucks, but you cant ignore the truth nor facts. Example: FACT- I lifted the ‘32 trans down from bench to clean case. I cant get it back up on bench ! A young fireman friend put it on the bench for me.
    Maybe time to quit, when you can no longer do your car repairs...without getting injured, eh ?
    And, I am aware of what is involved to remove/install this equipment in this coupe.
    So as you say that to make a mistake would be disastrous!! I hope that you didnt do that either.
    Ive taken your advice. Studying trans book now !
    Did you ever meet or know ‘Joe Mac’ ? He was famous Antique Ford Store owner. Last lived in Corona, Ca. Just prior to his death, Joe/I rebuilt a ‘39 toploader on a workbench in his small garage. When Joe sold his business, he kept all of his trans NOS parts. He made a bedroom into parts shelves. Something special to see !
    Joe was the expert on old Ford trans. From memory, he gave me part munbers and sent me into pick the parts. He was very weak and in a wheelchair. It took about 1/2 hour as Id followed his previous orders...to make all CLEAN before arriving at his home.
    So, i have a little experience, albeit many years ago. Again, thanks for your help.

12. solidaxle

solidaxle
    from Upstate,NY

If there's a will, there's a way. Keep going.
    Something I would have not done if I didn't read Mac VanPelts book is change the C-clips. They actually wear, every .001 starts to add up, creating too much movement. I changed all the other wear pieces even thou they were in spec. It's just too much work to pull the motor and tranny out again. My car no longer pops out of second or stutters letting out the clutch.
    Unfortunately, I never had the pleasure to meet Joe Mac.

13. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

I will pay particular attention to C clips...thanks.
    Glad to learn that you fixed your trany problems !
    Stay safe.