Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Trans-hump clearance ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by airbrushguy, Apr 3, 2020.

1. airbrushguy

airbrushguy
    from NJ

Fabbing up the floor after installing auto trans, building trans-hump and wondering how much clearance there should be between the top and sides of trans and the trans case? Is 1"-2" enough to avoid contact?
    The engine is supported by motor mounts and trans is bolted to crossmember.
    Thanks

2. 1934coupe

1934coupe

If you can get 2" all the better, 1" will work, just remember the space isn't only for avoiding contact. The space also allows for the flow of air and help in cooling/avoiding heat buildup. I believe your talking about an automatic trans.

Pat

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd say that for most guys building a hot rod 2 inches would be a seriously big space and one would be a lot closer to reality. Still more is better as long as you have the room inside for your feet.
    The other thing gained from working on a few seriously tight fit rigs is are you setting the car up so you could if necessary pull the trans with the engine in place or is it one of those rigs where you have to pull the engine and trans to work on the trans? Or is it like a stock S-10 4x4 pickup where the first line of instructions to change the clutch is unbolt the body from the left frame rail and raise the body X inches for clearance?. No Joke, I put a clutch in one of those buggers a few years back and that is what the manual says you have to do.

osage orange likes this.

4. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Like has been said one inch will enough if you had room for two inches it would give you a lot more airflow

osage orange and 1934coupe like this.
  5. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

After changing the Ford-O for a Cruise-O in our 56 then the rear for an 8.8 I needed to put a speedo gearbox on the tail case speedo drive. After hitting the trans cover the best I could with a ball peen I ended up with 1/8-1/4” clearance... been good for a year. The rear mount was new...

osage orange likes this.
  6. airbrushguy

airbrushguy
    from NJ

Thank you, the hump is being welded to the original removable floor panel. Actually this car has that panel for working from top and removable trans-crossmember for work from below.
    Needed to know best amount of clearance, thanks for the help.

7. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

I do the old " if I can put my hand up there and slide my fingers between floor and trans its perfect" measuring myself.

8. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

That's the way I've always done it.

osage orange likes this.
  9. With a removable cross member
    An 1”-1 1/2” is fine
    Can still get to bellhoysing bolts the the trans hanging.
    Nothing worse then having to pull everything to get the trans out

osage orange likes this.