Register now to get rid of these ads!

trans help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by harpboys4, Oct 17, 2009.

1. harpboys4

harpboys4
    from So Cal

I just picked up a good running 292 straight six and it came with the bellhousing and clutch so I am looking for some trans suggestions.The car was a 3speed so I assume the rear is pretty low.I am putting it in the 47 Pontiac I have been trying to sell.I figure it is not meant for me to sell her so I am going to drive her.I have a 3 speed put I am looking for a more freeway friendly trans.Is the s-10 5speed strong enough for the torque of the 292?Is the fifth gear of those 5 speeds overdrive?Thank you for any help you can give.Yes I did search first but did not get what I was after.:)

2. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

T-5 will be A a OD and B strong enough. You may need to use the S-10 style rear case to get the shifter where you need it. Search ,lots of info on that change over.

3. squirrel

squirrel

depending what year it is you may want to change the bellhousing, sometime in the late 60s about 1967 they changed the size of hte hole in the truck bellhousing, so the car and "small" truck transmisions are a loose fit...can cause misalignment and jumping out of gear. Just make sure the trans front bearing retainer is a snug fit in the bellhousing, if it's the wrong one it will have 1/8" slop

4. harpboys4

harpboys4
    from So Cal

Thank you John for the T-5 tip and Squirrel, I had no idea about the different bellhousing that is good info.

5. 3onthetree

3onthetree