Register now to get rid of these ads!

Trans guys, why does my AOD pan leak ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RDAH, Jun 20, 2012.

1. RDAH

RDAH
    from NL, WI

I'm on the 3rd gasket & a new aluminum pan on one car & my truck also is now leaking. Tryed two different gasket co. Used #2 non-hardening gasket sealer once put nothing on the last 2 & they all seem to leak mostly around the bold heads. Yes I flattened the matting surface.

2. Only 6-10 Foot pounds of torque, actually I would convert to inch pounds and use a 1/4" drive "inch" pound torque wrench, clean both surfaces with some laquer thinner and allow to air dry before using gasket and or sealer, good luck, TR

3. Question, how did you flatten the mating surface on a aluminum pan?

4. Weasel

Weasel

Maybe try going back to a steel pan with a new quality gasket and not overtorqueing. Note - chrome steel pans need to have the chrome sanded down on the mating surface as sometimes the chromed surfaced will not seal properly...,

5. Cerberus

Cerberus

Moroso makes a trans pan gasket that is rubber with steel core. It is reusable. I've had good luck with them. No leaks, blow outs, or get sucked in. They are 3/16" thick and may require longer pan bolts. About $24 for the gasket only. I use an inch pounds torque wrench with audible clicker. Works like a charm.

6. RDAH

RDAH
    from NL, WI

No you clowns, I only straightened the bolt flang on the steel pans. Sounds like I might be over tightening them there bolts buckO. I'll rough up both pans gasket surface's on both pans. Should have known that because I've done it on valve covers for years. Can't think right when I'm upside down I guess.

7. Sumfuncomet

Sumfuncomet

I've used the Moroso gasket myself...trans was in a manual valve body hi stall application, I had the pan off four or five times a season...same gasket. I use all Lentech parts and transmissions for my AOD. Superb quality, great stuff.