Register now to get rid of these ads!

trans guys i have a question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kyle paul, Apr 24, 2011.

1. ok so here the question how far should a slip yoke hanging out of the tail shaft i thought 3/4 to 1 in am i right ? here's a pic i stole from the Internet i know the measurement is wrong on it just using it as reference so you know what im talking about

here's the problem i just did a engine swap in my truck went from a 350 with a 4 speed to a 383 with a th350 i know i know why swap the auto the wife is gonna drive the truck and that what she wanted . so anyways i was planning on haveing the drive line remade but when i put it up every thing seemed to fit perfect . the truck is bagged so i put the drive line in the the car slammed on jack stands and it went in perfect down and up brings it out farther . id say there a 3/4 in play when the truck is down . here's the problem why im asking there seemed to be a binding noise under the car i was thinking it was suspension but being it started after the swap it cant really be so i was moving the truck yesterday and in the all up position the noise went away so im thinking maybe its the slip yoke in too far . if its in to far what damage will it do to the trans . of course im not gonna drive it like this id just like to know if i could damaged anything . gonna re measure everything and recheck but just would like to have some insight first as im not a trans guy . thanks for any info kyle..[​IMG]

2. no one know s about trannys out there

3. 69fury

69fury

if you have 3/4" of remaining depth when the suspension is down all the way, as measured on jackstands, then thats not your issue- the 1 inch recommended depth is to allow the yoke to move in a bit, and then move out some without falling out.

binding noise while moving it might mean some other interference or u joint oddities. Maybe there's some tire/frame/fenderwell/pinion/crossmember rubbing going on when you're laying frame.

pretty simple to put it back on jackstands, layframe, neutral, spin the tires and look for the source.

rick

Last edited: Apr 24, 2011

5. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

uhmmm how did you measure pinion angle without knowing what angle the trans/crankshaft is?

pinion is NOT set off the ground its set off the crankshaft centerline.

6. basically i set the truck level on stands then sat thee truck at ride height.
    then i rotated the pinion until the axis of the u-joint is vertical, then use a degree finder to set the pinion so that it is tipped up 3 degrees at the front. then i went to the trans and set it between 1 and 3 degrees facing down at the tail shaft . i should of said i couldn't remember the exact degree on the trans cause it was 2 months ago but it was between 1 and 3 degrees

im not wondering if the pinion angle is right i just want to make sure im right about the 3/4 to 1 inch distance between the tail shaft and the slip yoke shoulder

7. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

ok, jus checkin.

pull the yoke out and paint or color the end that goes into the trans,, redo your troubleshooting deal and then check to see if the yoke is bottoming out in the trans. if it is the color will be rubbed off.

you can shorten the yoke a little if needed (no more than 1/4")

8. OK ill try that . just going crazy cause i wont beable to do anything for a week till im back so im try in to cover all my bases on what it could be thanks

9. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

I should add the only thing you looking at for the color rubbed off is the very end not the sides if that makes any sense.

good luck and keep us posted

10. no i know that trick . ill try that but someone has to know the right lenght its susposed to be at . if not i will by the end of this . i can call m y drive line guy tomorrow and post it

11. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

The only thing I would add is make sure the yoke goes in the bushing quite aways. If the bushing is not all the way to the back of the housing and the yoke is a shorter version it may not be far enough in to be stable. Best of luck,let us know what happens.

12. squirrel

squirrel

It needs to be set up so it won't bottom out, and so you can get the driveshaft out of the car, and also be in as far as practical. In other words there's no real answer to your question of "how far should it stick out".

Usually the best way to do this is set the car on stands in the suspension position that puts the driveshaft as far forward as it goes, then put the yoke in the trans all the way, pull it out 3/4 to 1". Then measure from the center of the yoke U joint holes to the rearend yoke U joint holes, and use that measurement to build the driveshaft (U joint center to center distance).

13. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

I always set mine at 1"

14. Not really "how much hangs out" more like " how much more can it go in before it bottoms out"
    if that makes sense.

15. just talked to my guys at the drive line shop the say rule of thumb you want betwen 3/4 and 1 inch ... then bottomed out no less then 1/2 inch

16. Twinpilot001

Twinpilot001

Thinking its fine - believe you are having a U-joint problem- like dry?? Pull the shaft & slowely remove the caps. if nothing is found?? pull the joints & see the others - bet that is what uvr got.Dry joints -rusted internally??