Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Trans fluid additives that actually work

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by junkyardjeff, Feb 25, 2019.

1. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I have a Ford C-4 that the fluid got hot and lost third due to a cooler issue,changed the fluid and now it has third gear again but sometimes at light throttle it will slide into gear so there could be some possible issues with the clutches for third. Since there was not much clutch material in the fluid I was wondering if it was possible that the clutches could be glazed and wondering if there is a additive that can be added to the fluid that can deglaze the clutches if they are glazed.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Not sure about deglazing the clutches

But I have had luck with Lukas trans fluid additive.
    Also go by your local transmission rebuilder
    When I worked at a transmission shop years ago we had 2 different bottles of friction modifiers and fluid additives that seemed to work with minor transmission issues.

Not exactly a fix, but if it prevents a failure or lengthens the time to needing a repair or rebuild then why not?

A c4 is not a costly trans to rebuild but it still needs to come out and go back in.

I gotta pull the Dynaflow outta my Buick and for some reason laying the gaskets on the front seat has not worked yet this winter !!
    Gonna give it ‘till the end of the month !o_O

belair and Texas Webb like this.
  3. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I worked for a Lincoln Mercury dealership as a service writer in 1978 the trans guy could do an overhaul without taking the trans out of the car if there was not a problem with the converter. I do not know how intensive it was but he never had comebacks. I looked at what was being done once and all of it came out the rear. The rear cross member was removed. You might be able to look into what is done that way. I know new clutches were put in for sure.

4. Of all the magic in a can Trans X was a better one.

5. I used the Lukas stuff as a last resort, after caving in to other peoples suggestions to use it........and it worked.

6. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I know before it goes on another long trip it will have to come apart but I hope I can get through summer before doing anything serious to it,reverse,first and second work perfect but the heat did something to third.

7. indyjps

indyjps

Whats out there from amsoil, Im not a big user of it, but the people who do swear by it.

I have used amsoil power steering fluid and it solved a persistently whiney, notchy condition on a OT. I'd tried several other fluids with no change.

8. onetrickpony

onetrickpony
    from Texas

Like Irish said, K&W TransX. It will often help when seals have hardened due to overheating.

9. garyf

garyf

Overhauled transmissions many years. The only product I recommended to keep one going a little longer when worn was lube guard. I think oriellys sells it

10. bchctybob

bchctybob

I used Lucas Transmission Fix to get a TH400 to shift right after 10+ years sleeping in my shop. Took a few times going around the block to get it to shift through all three gears properly but once it did, it never gave me any more trouble. I'm usually not an 'additive fix' guy but my trans guy recommended I try it before we tear into it and it worked fine.

11. I was told 25 years ago by a certified Ford transmission mechanic to put in a quart of Trans X at every trans overhaul and every fluid change and I have and have not suffered any setbacks! No problems ever!

12. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I will put some trans X in it this weekend,most likely will find another trans to have gone through and just trying to get by until next fall if possible.

VANDENPLAS likes this.