Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Trans-Dapt adaptor FE4, sbc to ford trans.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by hotrodyankee, Jul 7, 2016.

1. hotrodyankee

hotrodyankee

P1010001.JPG P1010003.JPG P1010006.JPG P1010010.JPG P1010008.JPG P1010014.JPG P1010019.JPG Need some advise on a project i'm going to do this winter. I have a restored 46 ford coupe, and would like to put a 283 or a 327 in it. I am going to use the original trans and rear end which have been rebuilt. Can someone tell me about the Trans-dapt #fe4 adaptor. Does it use the early style starter or the block style. All advice will be greatly appreciated. Will post some pics of the car, its cool!

2. If I am not mistaken you need the earl power-glide bell-housing ring to use that adapter. Therefore you need the early style starter.

3. sdroadster

sdroadster

I'm not familiar with the Trans-Dapt adapter. Wilcap, and Speedway Motors sells good ones. I think they use the early 3 bolt starter. Now the reason I wrote. This appears to be a really nice original car. I have always wondered if you could keep the car 6 volt positive ground so everything works like it was designed, then install a 12 volt battery in the trunk for starting. If you used a second very small one wire alternator, it could be wired directly to the 12 volt battery for charging. Mounting the alternator very low on the engine would make it virtually unseen. This 12 volt starting system would be isolated from the rest of the electrical system, leaving the original wiring un-touched. A 6 volt positive alternator would handle the rest of the charging functions using the original heavy gauge Batt wire off the voltage regulator. Your electrical system would be un-touched and the original radio would work too! I thought this would be cool, maybe it's just me...

hotrodyankee likes this.
  4. titus

titus

you can easily tell because the 3 bolts for the starter will be there or they wont, i have a wilcap that takes the block mounted starter, first time ive had one like that.

hotrodyankee likes this.

5. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

There are also 6-12 volt step-up converter boxes. (That's your google search term). They've always existed but recently become pretty cheap. I don't know how many amps they output - not many - but how many might you need?

hotrodyankee likes this.
  6. titus

titus

addressing the 6 or 12 volt id think youd be crazy not to go 12 volts, its realy not that complicated, lights bulbs and voltage drop for the gauges. if you must stay 6 volts then at least do it as negative ground, which really the only difference is in the charging system