Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Trans Cooler Sizing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flat Six Fix, Jun 27, 2021.

1. Well I know it’s getting fluid to it..when I pulled the trans fluid poured out of the lines..and I’ve only driven the car about 5 miles due to rain and vacation..I wouldn’t think how it’s mounted would have any effect on its cooling capabilities. Mines mounted to the passenger side of the core support and gets ton of air from the grill.
    There was nothing like that in my directions and it’s a stacked design..
    Good tip…go to any wrecking yard and look for F150’s and Explorers..grab yourself a cooler for 7 bucks, at least at my local yard

2. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Oh its a lockup alright, 1986 fifth avenue, 999 type. Input shaft confirmed that 4 me.
    Yup, locks up fairly low speed.

3. Ok…I can sleep better now….instructions from Hayden…doesn’t say anything about placement and line flow
    A6D038FA-2136-47D1-90E6-0412E73E4BBF.jpeg

4. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

I was always told that transmission have an heat operating range and that coolers in the radiators were used to keep them in that heat range...They helped warm them up in cold climates....

Flat Six Fix likes this.
  5. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

And mine is apparently plumbed wrong.....

I'm not so sure I agree with that diagram

Flat Six Fix likes this.
  6. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

My other external cooler. This type not as good as one I'm using however.
    This was used in a 66 Nova, with T350 trans.

Attached Files:

7. Budget36

Budget36

I think the idea is with the input at the bottom, it eliminates the possibility of an air pocket. In principle I can see that, but in reality for such a short fluid path, I don’t think it’s something to worry about.
    It’s not a some 300 foot pipeline we deal with.

Blues4U likes this.