Register now to get rid of these ads!

Trans cooler (frame vs radiator type & placement)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crazy Legs, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Crazy Legs

Crazy Legs

Its time to find a trans cooler for my 54 Ford 4L80E trans (don't ask lol) and I've been planning on getting a standard cooler that goes in front of the radiator but I've been thinking about the frame mount heatsink type as well.

My main concern is,
    1) My car is super low even while driving and I'm worried there wont be much air under the car to cool the frame mounted type, especially that big 4L80E trans.

2) There isn't any room in front of the condenser but there is 1-1/8" space between the condenser and the radiator that would be perfect for a cooler. Can you think of any reason that wouldn't be a good idea of using this space?

Thanks!

2. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

On my '55 Cadillac, which is low as well, I mounted my GM pickup truck tranny cooler (about 9" wide by 11") on the passenger's side frame rail, then I built a small "box" around it and opened some louvers in it...pointed the louvers forward so they would catch air...it's been under the car for three years now (summers) and haven't had a problem with it yet...just a thot for you...!!!

R-

3. Ice man

Ice man

I used an old Refrigeration Condenser (retired HAVC) They do a super job and are very cheep, usually free cause most were steel and not copper. Brazed copper stubs on and never had a problem. Iceman

4. Crazy Legs

Crazy Legs

Interesting, thanks guys

5. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I think you would want more than 11/8 inch space to work with between the condenser and radiator.

6. jmpowie

jmpowie

I only have a 18" frame mount cooler on my th350 and it seems to cool fine. The fins on the frame mount are 3/4" long it does get rid of a lot of heat. Are you going to use the radiator plus a cooler or just a cooler? How high is your stall? The higher the stall the more heat it makes, so you need more cooling.

7. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Is your trans getting overheated now or are you planing to tow somthing?

8. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

What he said. Unless you're planning on pulling a 40 ft. 5th wheel, a livestock trailer, or have a 1,000 HP twin turbo'd LS ahead that brute of a trans, you'll be fine with that.

I sort of hope you've got a twin turbo'd LS...:cool:

You could possbily tuck one behind the grill on the core support, as long as air could get around it, or plumb it all the way to the back in the frame kick over the rear axle, it doesn't HAVE to be in front.

Brian

9. Crazy Legs

Crazy Legs

saltflats, this radiator, fans, and condenser is from a 02 Camaro and its all factory.

jmpowie, the radiator I've got is for non-auto (no cooler inside) so this will be a stand alone cooler. Currently the stall is still stock, but I see in the future going to 3600 max w/ lock up.

dreracecar, I'm not sure, this is a 100% new build TBD if any of this even works lol.- not planning on towing.

flyinbrian48, LOL I agree, no twins......yet ;) I agree on the core support or in the back.

Thanks for the help guys!