Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tranny removal 46 ford question.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrod-kenny, Dec 1, 2008.

1. hotrod-kenny

hotrod-kenny

Hi!

Is it possible to remove the transmission on a 46 ford without taking out the engine. ( all original drivetrain & chassis ). I am pulling of the rear axel and torque tube also ( rebuild and changing to 3.25 ).

has anyone removed tranny and leaft the engine in on this type of car, or do I have to take out the engine?

Thanks.

Kenny

2. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Yes...dunnit several times. Raise rearend, remove axle assembly...easiest is to just remove it at the spring to crossmember point. Unvbolt from trans, roll it back.
    Remove forward floorboard...8,000 rusted screws...
    Unbolt trans, remove all rods, pull back and rotate as needed. When you are hunched up under the dash, the trans seems MUCH heavier than when it is out on the floor.
    Oh, yes...jack, padded by a board or phone book, under engine to hold it up, also to tilt it up a bit for easier on/off of trans.

3. hotrod-kenny

hotrod-kenny

of course, remove the floor and pull it up in to the car! I thought i had to take it out underneath. Thanks that will defenetly make it a lot easier.

Thanks Bruce!

4. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

PS...I never removed the front seat...that makes it into a real contortionist's job!

Register now to get rid of these ads!