Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tranny mount

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 57MoreDoor, Mar 9, 2011.

1. 57MoreDoor

57MoreDoor
    from CC,TX

Im ready to install a GM 3speed w/ overdrive. Compared to the current 3speed i have, the 3speed OD seems much heavier with the OD unit on the back of the transmission.

My current setup is front motor mounts, bellhousing mounts, and just the 3speed bolted to the bellhousing.

NOW, with the added weight of the OD transmission, Im actually afraid of just bolting in on without a little support holding it up. Im actually scared it will rip off the bellhousing bolt threads. Any advice here...would it be ok to install a transmission crossmember so the trans has a little support on the tail end? Im thinking it should be fine but would like some advice.

2. bbtom30

bbtom30
    from so. cal

The factory didn't think they needed any extra support. Some Tri-five chevies had o.d. 3speeds from the factory.You really don't want to add a crossmember with the bell housing mounts.

3. 57MoreDoor

57MoreDoor
    from CC,TX

Yes it was an option back in the day for them. But why shouldnt i add a crossmember if i have bellhousing mounts? Wouldnt it only make it better?

4. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

i think he's refering to "why bother with the overkill"

personally, im a huge fan of overkill. in fact, i prefer it